www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Cheap 'Pod' filters - why you shouldn't - Public service posting  (Read 48348 times)

Offline manas

Way too much velocity to test with, IMO, so of course you're gonna get the same results with or without the stacks.

Really? My guess was that while you wouldn't have such a sustained period of suction, the rate of suction as well as the dynamic pressure would be greater through the Bernoulli's tube. I guess we could roughly calculate it if we knew the displacement and the average time the slide is open for. Actually never mind, I think all you would need is the time taken for the intake cycle and displacement.

Offline harrydahl

By the way, sorry if I sounded heavy-handed in my initial reply. Wasn't my intention. Funny how writings don't always read like the writer's emotion.
[/quote

That's OK, sometimes it's not easy to understand, what the other fellar is trying to explain :)
This is how the velocity stacks look like now.
Yamaha XS650, 1976

Offline harrydahl

This is my "flow bench", made up from a vaccumcleaner, a beer can (Carlsberg, not my favorite..) and some masking tape...
Yamaha XS650, 1976

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Cool, works for me  ;)
David Vizard uses a shop vac for a DIY flowbench, it's in a couple of his tuning books
The electronics to go with it are about $700~1,000, need to be doing quite a few heads/carbs/filter checks to justify that outlay though (still way cheaper than a $5~10,000 dollar bench  8) )
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
This is my "flow bench", made up from a vaccumcleaner, a beer can (Carlsberg, not my favorite..) and some masking tape...

It's good enough for who it's for ha ha! Good idea.
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline harrydahl

Just beware that the carbs are clean,you don't want gas fumes into the vacuum cleaner, might be a surprise.....
Yamaha XS650, 1976

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Motors are sealed on new ones, Mythbusters did a bunch of tests (I wouldn't deliberately suck gas through vacuum though)
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline harrydahl

Well, what do you know....You learn something every day! Unnecessary knowledge: the vacuumcleaner is an Electrolux, who owned Husqvarna motorcycles ("Husky") for a brief time, but then sold it to some Spanish or Italian company. I believe the brand is now owned by BMW.
Yamaha XS650, 1976

Offline kopcicle

• antidisestablishmentarian
Yep, the slides are a fair way up when fully seated.
If you open throttle gradually you can get a pretty high rpm before they lift
When you blip throttle they flutter

Teaz I can confirm this

~kop
"If a man wants to carry two cats home by their tails, by all means let him. Heíll learn things that he might not have otherwise even guessed, and the experience will be one heíll not soon forget!"

~S. Clemens

If it leaks after all this? I'm gonna pull a "Brad" and bulldoze the fucker!

Quote from: Scruffy;1025553
As an equal opportunity bigot, I'll insult any brand, any style, any time...:wink:
-Scruffy

http://tinyurl.com/TheRedBike

Redliner: me? But I'm not a little girl any more
Nov 13, 2013, 19:20:58

Offline Bobby Joe

Wow...putting this on my list to check.  Good find.  I would almost be more worried about the filter properties over the rubber boot.
Working on a 1971 CB500F.  Eventually I will get around to the 1982 Honda Sabre, but it just ain't as cool, man!