So... Jenn FINALLY has a build thread: '71 CB350

haircuttergirl said:
Took a wire wheel to the frame tonight... Its looking all puuuurty. Obviously there's still some areas to get. I'll hit those with the soda blaster as soon as we get our air compressor problem resolved.

20130714_011009.jpg
Very nice!!!!!

Curious as I'm also doing a second gen CB350 right now - how are you guys planning on lowering the front? Slipping the forks?

CuppaJoe said:
Curious as I'm also doing a second gen CB350 right now - how are you guys planning on lowering the front? Slipping the forks?

That's the easy (read: wrong) way. They need to be lowered internally. There are a few how to threads here on DTT.

CuppaJoe said:
We are planning to lower the front end by internally lowering the forks (what VonYinzer says) and by putting a smaller diameter wheel on the front (likely 18"). I can't go much smaller on the current front end, as its a 750 front end... unless I want to do a bunch of fab work. If I decide I want it lower, I'll just swap back to a 350 front end to more easily accomodate a smaller wheel... but I think I'll stick with what I have.
VonYinzer said:
That's the easy (read: wrong) way. They need to be lowered internally. There are a few how to threads here on DTT.
Thanks, Dock!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Curious - why is it generally regarded to be a bad move to slip the forks up? Bike geometry thrown off? Curious, as I never hear a reason - only that it's regarded as wrong.

After some searching, seeing this exploded view was VERY helpful. I'll go with the cut spring and install a spacer as such:

Keep up the great work on the build, haircutter!

fork_shorten_exploded_view.gif

So do you think she will be ready for Barbers Vintage Festival?
Really looking forward to this year I hope to finally have my bike there.

I lost most of my build pictures to a hacker.
I have none of the initial tear down or frame work I did before powder coat.

Anyway hope to see you and the bike there.

I already have my Ace Corner add on tickets. ;-)

cklamer said:
So do you think she will be ready for Barbers Vintage Festival?
Really looking forward to this year I hope to finally have my bike there.

I lost most of my build pictures to a hacker.
I have none of the initial tear down or frame work I did before powder coat.

Anyway hope to see you and the bike there.

I already have my Ace Corner add on tickets. ;-)
I am ready. My freshly wire wheeled girl... will not be, sadly. Next year for her. :)
Hotel is booked... and should have tickets by the weekend.
85 days 8)

haircuttergirl said:
I am ready. My freshly wire wheeled girl... will not be, sadly. Next year for her. :)
Hotel is booked... and should have tickets by the weekend.
85 days 8)

so, what I am hearing is, I am going to "have to endure" Barber 3 years...IN A ROW ?

trek97 said:
so, what I am hearing is, I am going to "have to endure" Barber 3 years...IN A ROW ?
*sigh* Yes. What a burden to bear. :p
pr design said:
Jen don't set your sites too low. 85 days is a long time hard part is already done.
Pretty much everyone said Barber was an unrealistic completion goal, so I was trying to not set myself up for disappointment. Ha. :)
CafeRacer650 said:
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread... it's like every married man's wet dream. Go Jenn!! ;D
Steve, this made me laugh aloud. :D I'm glad you're on board!

Hi Jenn,
Thought I'd posted a few comments on this thread yesterday but can't be found...
Anyway, great job on detailing and wirewheeling the frame - when they get this shiny, almost makes you want to get it chromed or clearcoated or something.
I wondered if you found any frame cracks in the common areas of fatigue - where the passenger peg mounts bolt to the lower frame tubes and on the top frame rails just aft of the tank? I've found cracks on 3 or 4 frames in these areas.
Are you going to box or plate the top frame tubes - ie, close them up (an old vintage racing mod)?
Regarding sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamps, we've been doing this for 40+ years with internal spring forks to adjust the handling qualities. Certain things you have to watch out for of course - don't drop the forks so much the fender is hitting the lower triple, stuff like that. I offset the handlebar clamps on the 350 forks on my 175 and slid the tubes through 'til it felt right but will adjust again as I need to. Aside from perhaps looking a trifle odd, I can't think what the technical issue is but hey, I learn new stuff every day.
A great build, great to see you doing a lot of the heavy lifting on your project yourself!
Pat

pacomotorstuff said:
Hi Jenn,
Thought I'd posted a few comments on this thread yesterday but can't be found...
Anyway, great job on detailing and wirewheeling the frame - when they get this shiny, almost makes you want to get it chromed or clearcoated or something.
I wondered if you found any frame cracks in the common areas of fatigue - where the passenger peg mounts bolt to the lower frame tubes and on the top frame rails just aft of the tank? I've found cracks on 3 or 4 frames in these areas.
Are you going to box or plate the top frame tubes - ie, close them up (an old vintage racing mod)?
Regarding sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamps, we've been doing this for 40+ years with internal spring forks to adjust the handling qualities. Certain things you have to watch out for of course - don't drop the forks so much the fender is hitting the lower triple, stuff like that. I offset the handlebar clamps on the 350 forks on my 175 and slid the tubes through 'til it felt right but will adjust again as I need to. Aside from perhaps looking a trifle odd, I can't think what the technical issue is but hey, I learn new stuff every day.
A great build, great to see you doing a lot of the heavy lifting on your project yourself!
Pat
Hey, Pat. Haven't found any cracks yet, we are going to do a dye test on it soon though.
No decisions have been made yet about the top of the frame.
Thanks for the good word :D

This is so rad. It's nice to see some other girls on here too! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I did a dye test on my frame tonight. No cracks!

20130724_001116.jpg

While it was developing, I wire wheeled my swingarm.

20130724_002702.jpg

You'll notice I didn't quite finish. It's because I demolished the wire wheel on the frame and didn't have a replacement. Oopsie. Next time :)

20130724_003658.jpg

Back
Top Bottom