Title troubles

alzcbz

Been Around the Block
Just acquired a nearly complete 73 CB350G and a rolling chassis, hardtail 73 CL350.
Problem is that neither one came with a title.
What's the easiest/ cheapest way around this.
I went to the local Police station to see if I could have them check the VINs. Said to go to the SOS with Bill of Sale. SOS wants me to fill out a form along with Kelly Blue Book value printout.
I don't want to pay tax on full KBB value, $1500.

I'm in South Lyon. Does anyone have good experience with the SOS in this area?

I luckily had a buddy that worked at a honda dealer that wrote me an appraisal for $200 for my bike. I went to SOS and they charged me $45 for a new tittle. the price on the bike does not matter... also depending on who you talk to at the SOS you cannot mention that you got the bike from someone living that you know. they will then tell you THAT PERSON has to come in and get the tittle in their name first then transfer it to you. Some SOS are not so anal but you basically have to say you got it from a dead guy at my SOS.

HD, when I checked KBB, all the values come up on one page. From fair to excellent condition, $400-$1500. I guess it's up to whoever you get at the counter.

Ask if you can apply for a lost title. You've had it sooooo long you can no longer find the title. You just better be certain the VIN comes back clean or the po po will be askin you all kinds of questions.

I had a bike that sat in my grand mothers garage for 16 years. After my dad died I wanted to take posession of it. The SOS lady tried to tell me I need to apply for an abandoned vehicle title. I argued that it was not abandoned, I knew where it was the entire time! They then let me apply for the lost title. I previously had a cop friend run the VIN and he told me it was no longer in the system. After not being registered for so long the state dropped it from their system.

Finally got around to going to the SOS again.
This time the attendant wasn't really sure what to do. So she just charged me tax on the written up Bill Of Sale, $200 each, and sent the paperwork through for title application.
No dealing with KBB values.
Just depends on the attendant.
Hopefully they both come back clear. The CB has been in my co-workers garage for 8yrs. Not sure about the CL.

Two titles arrived in the mail today. I guess that wasn't so bad. Just have to get the right person at the SOS.

alzcbz said:
Two titles arrived in the mail today. I guess that wasn't so bad. Just have to get the right person at the SOS.
Unfortunately, this is the case with anything SOS related. 9 out of 10 of them are angry old bags who hate their job and life in general.

Back
Top Bottom