turbocharged cb550 bobber

That's not perfect, it's for another bike.

I would not run a stock head gasket with a turbo. You are either trying to build major pressure or you might as well scrap the whole idea right now.

Ever had a turbo project? When it's done, I guarantee it wont be fast enough.

Any good guesses as to whats going on with this cam chain tensioner? No straight slot for a screwdriver, and it doesn't look broken off

Attachments

• 20160125_190309.jpg
    20160125_190309.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 314
DohcBikes said:
That's not perfect, it's for another bike.

I would not run a stock head gasket with a turbo. You are either trying to build major pressure or you might as well scrap the whole idea right now.

Ever had a turbo project? When it's done, I guarantee it wont be fast enough.

Yer right again!!

Turdbow needs a laminated gasket i guess. The metal/paper smmich.

With all this cad cutter business going on, even my wife has a cutter called doodle bug and it will soon be making some of my gaskets... any hooo this could be simple if someone with exp stepped in, simple as in cut the gasket using high quality image paper layered with copper foil' all CNC cut and laminated using permetex copper for glue. I'm guessing but somewhere between 7 and 11 layers with paper top and bottom. Big process but big results require it.

Custom gaskets hmmm :eek:

deviant said:
Isn't that what Lani does at Copper Gaskets Unlimited?

Surly someone does, all the data is the tough part and I'm somewhat lost in that department, but have an r&d shop in china I can call on for anything you can imagine, I could ship them a stack of gaskets and have the software dang fast... if I had the OS or whatever protocol the machine speaks.

Had a buddy blast the frame, and I just got done rattle canning it in my basement (winter in Iowa, and shop isn't kept warm). Engine is on its way back together too. APE cylinder studs, honed the cylinders, new rings, and a multi-layer steel head gasket is on its way. Need to finish lapping valves and putting the cylinder head back together, and it should be about time for final assembly.

Attachments

• 20160208_203708.jpg
    20160208_203708.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 327
Got some final assembly done today. Engine is back together with APE head studs, mls head gasket, two base gaskets to lower compression, fresh rings, and lapped valves. And a fresh ebay cylinder head after discovering the damage done to the last one. Quite a few smaller things will be needing some attention, and then I'll be back at trying to get a carburetor dialed in.

Attachments

• zScreenshot_2016-02-20-19-52-28.png
    zScreenshot_2016-02-20-19-52-28.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 353
got a little wiring done. Mostly ignition switch, power to coils, starter button, and starter solenoid. Using one 30A fuse to protect everything, and a nice 30A weather proof sealed relay for the ignition side. Ignition toggle switch and momentary starter button are mounted on the frame under the left side of the seat. Haven't done anything with the charging system yet, I need to do a little more research on a simple solution for a one piece regulator/rectifier.

Attachments

• a20160309_192709.jpg
    a20160309_192709.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 296
  • a20160309_192805.jpg
    a20160309_192805.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 289
Sonreir said:
30A is too much. Drop it down to 15A.

Will do for sure. Original plan was to let this one fuse handle my lighting too (headlight and tail light). Will 15A be enough for this, or do I need to be sure to run my lighting through a separate fuse? I have a cheap LED headlight I plan to start off with, and a 10 watt tail light. Wanting to do this wiring right, but as simple as possible.

Fuses are based on the thickness of the wiring. Thinner wires need smaller fuses.

To figure out if your wiring is thick enough, add up the wattage of all your electrics and then divide by 14 (14 is an approximate operating voltage).

Since Watts = Amps x Volts, we can do a bit of algebra and rearrange it to Amps = Watts / Volts. There is also a relationship between Ohms and Amps and Volts known as Ohms law. This lets you calculate the Amps, Volts, or resistance in a circuit if you know two of the three items.

Anyway... 10W bulb will pull .7A at 14V. Because 10 / 14 = ~.7.

If all you're running is headlight, tail light, and ignition coils, the calculations shouldn't be too bad.

My XS650 runs on a single 10A fuse - everything goes through it. Never blown one.

Got the seat on. pan was an old tractor seat pan that I cut to size, and glued some polyethylene foam to. For the cover, I decided I liked the material from an old heavy duty bench seat cover in an old pickup. Had a friend sew it up, and here's what I have. Im not real crazy about the single narrow stripe down the center, I'm wishing now I would have found a better position of the seat cover to use. This will do for now though.

Attachments

• 120160312_150632 (1).jpg
    120160312_150632 (1).jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 291
Back
Top Bottom