'85 Virago

clay69camaro

Bought this before summer but never had time to get around to it. Now I have some time off so i'm rolling up my sleeves and digging in. (Cafe bike is temporarily on hold).

Plan is springer seat, solo saddle, drop the front and rear 2" custom Z bars, rear fender nice and tight, strip the bike as much as possible.

Got a few things done recently, dropped the front 2", got rid of all the gauges and controls, chopped the rear of the frame, made some bars, and swapped out the tank from a 750 model so I can just use petcocks instead of the ridiculous fuel pump set up that was going on in there.

Nice work on the bars. What's the plan for the back?

Plan for the rear is to make 10" solid struts bringing the back down 2" and mounting a rear fender close to really hug the rear tire. I'm thinking a natural metal finish on the fender, patina, or painted to match the gas tank.

Building new Z bars with thicker gauge 7/8" tube, finishing up the wiring harness, adding turn signals, ya know just getting the bike all finished up.

new job, new funds. Hope to have it all finished up by spring.

I have a virago 535 that i want to bob out, but i have a hard time finding a gas tank that will fit on the frame. The 87 model has the air filter in the frame under a fake tank. I was wondering if you could show a picture of how the 750 tank looks underneath and what the width of the frame is under the tank. much appreciated !

Finally after my move I put some time into the bike.

Got a battery installed, and the start switch all hooked up. Some special starter bolt is missing though and I had to order it online $15 ughh for one bolt.

Ordered solid one piece rear struts online to replace the ones I made, I'm not too sure about the welds holding me and the weight of the bike at cruising speeds on the streets, so a one piece design is cheap insurance to me.

Pictures will be up when it's picture worthy.

hey 69 im building a scoot with extreme similarities to your xv here and am most interested in seeing some progress. in fact a pic of yours is hangin above the bench as inspiration. lookin to have mine ready to ride when the snow melts.so how bout it, any wrenches bein turned?

Some progress has been made, I was actually going to finish installing the rear fender this weekend and get the electronics tray finished up as well.

Patina on the rear fender is coming along nicely but I'm going to use a patina spray to kind of speed things up a bit. Then I'll hit the rear fender with some matte clear and do the same for the handlebars.

Get some pictures up this weekend when I get the bike out of the garage.

Thanks for bumping the thread and showing interest 400

Just a few update photos. Building the exhaust and the rear electronics/battery trey. It's nothing special, the bike isn't a show bike it's kind of meant to be a bit ratty.

Back
Top Bottom