www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Teaching my wife to ride: Kaw 175  (Read 16079 times)

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
Teaching my wife to ride: Kaw 175
« on: Nov 08, 2013, 00:19:40 »

All there but a turn signal. Starts first kick, needs new chain and sprockets. My plums feel manlier already - finally, a smoker in the stable!
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline ApriliaBill

• Yeah...I'm old school.
Re: Teaching my wife to ride: Kaw 175
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2013, 00:23:01 »
I burned that excuse about twelve years ago on a Honda 550. I came home one day and my Aprilia was gone, had to buy her a Harley to get it back. Neat find..... Good luck with it.

Dang, I keep looking at that pic, and that looks to be a pretty nice ride.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2013, 00:25:19 by ApriliaBill »
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2013, 00:30:58 »
I'm safe, Bill - I talked this one over with her in advance (and the only moto videos she'll sit through are the ones where somebody starts out on the road, goes through a field, through a warehouse, and so on), and when I pulled it out of the van she sat on it and rolled it around the driveway with a big grin.

She balked at the MSF last year, in large part (I think) because she doesn't want to be the "girl that drops the bike"; this we can take out to a buddy's place and she can dump it a bunch of times without it being an issue.

And if I ride it to work once in a while...hey, you gotta work the kinks out, right? :D

Anyway: '73 F7 175, titled, complete less a turn signal, starts on the first kick. Guy thought the transmission was bad, so I got it for $150 with a bunch of shit thrown in. The chain is completely loose - so new sprockets and chain are in the future, and we'll strip the tank and paint it.

But the thing is in outstanding shape, aside from being dirty. I'm pretty pumped - and so is she, which puts a big grin on my face. Now she wants to come down to Kentucky in May.

Guess I better find a babysitter, and a parts diagram.

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline haircuttergirl

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2013, 00:31:55 »
EXCITING!! Now you need to get your beautiful lady to the Thaw.

Offline ApriliaBill

• Yeah...I'm old school.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2013, 00:39:53 »
$150.... I would have pulled that out of my pocket so fast I would have started a fire. Unless my screen is in LSD mode, I see about 10X that parting it out. Good job, around here I couldn't buy the front rim and tire for $150...
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2013, 00:43:02 »
I had about a ten-minute window to catch the guy before he had a 9:00pm appointment. I broke about thirty laws between my door and his, but I got it.

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2013, 02:54:58 »
Found a service manual here: http://www.pdfmotomanual.com/index.php?r=site/page&view=manuales&order=t&key=K&make=1058&lang=ENG

Now to read about rotary valves. No, wait, it's 2am. How did that happen?

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2013, 06:23:07 »
I had about a ten-minute window to catch the guy before he had a 9:00pm appointment. I broke about thirty laws between my door and his, but I got it.

Well worth it :) Thanks for posting the link to the manual as well, never seen that site before have it bookmarked now.
Perry

1972 Honda CB350 K4 / 1978 Honda XL250S /1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2013, 11:46:44 »