Teaching my wife to ride: Kaw 175

CharlieT said:
What....after I take it out to Ted's, your going to bring your kids out and wait for Sophia to see it and get all excited and ask me if she could ride it? What you think I'm a push-over for little kids?

I think you're a pushover for at least one of them, and she's eight, blonde and blue-eyed, and talks near-constantly. Fond of you guys, too.

mrjoshzombie said:
I was referring to page two with the cover in the bin and chunk of cardboard with the engine bolts in it. Probably should have quoted the pic, but didn't want to muck the thread up with more pics.

No problem - this is the first thread I've opened with this good a signal/noise ratio. Feel free to do whatever.

The case bolts in cardboard trick I got from the guy who built this:

http://youtu.be/m0jYm3exkrs

Ray knows how to do it right!

We put it all back together tonight and I took it up and down the driveway a couple of times. Needs clutch adjustment, throttle cable and idle - but I'll do that a little earlier in the evening. Tomorrow we'll probably do the fork oil and maybe put a longer pair of shocks on the back.

Also my wife discovered that my dad's old Belstaff trials jacket fits her really well. So I guess that's good.

What have I done?

SO it shifts fine now and actually propels the bike, eh? Guess it helps to have the engine connected to the rear wheel, eh.

Two-stroke trail bike, vintage Belstaff jacket. Now she needs an open face Bell helmet with a visor and set of goggles, ISDT here we come.

Supposed to be in the 60's Sunday, but 50% chance of rain, but you know how trusty these forecasts are. Then again she does have that waxed cotton Belstaff.

Well, leaving for the shop a bit early this morning, might swing by the IRA house and pick a little something up. ;) ;)

Since you are now an expert in eraly-mid-70's kawi rotary valve 2-strokes......look what followed me to the shop:

75cc of bone-chilling, teeth rattling raw horsepower!

Funny thing was, I had just unloaded it and it was sitting in the parking lot right behind the van and this car suddenly whips into the lot. Saw the bike and wanted to know if I wanted another one just like it!! Has one in his basement he wants to sell.

Whatcha think, two Little kawi's and that little ATC 70.....you, me and Ted could start a gang, er, I mean club and cruise the mean, dark alleyways of Galetucky.

In my expert opinion that's the best looking bike that came out of that garage

It was the only one that had two wheels, a seat and tank!!

Um, we could negotiate on the dynomite versus the ATC.

I do have a Kawasaki Racing green Vintage Bates leather jacket for who ever rides a dynomite. No longer fits me, but you or Ted could wear it.

I might have to do that since my wife thieved the Belstaff

It's worth it.

Tandy and I worked our way through the carb tonight - she's taking a very matter-of-fact attitude about learning how everything works, so I hope I'm explaining things correctly!

We got the idle dialed in, and it now has smooth throttle response. I took it for a spin around the block, and I get why people become 2-stroke fanatics - it's amazing what this thing gets from the tiny motor.

Still need to adjust the clutch.

Pulled the forks down to their rightful spot, fixed a couple wires, and pulled the headlight up. Then to draining the fork oil. This was probably last done somewhere between 39 and 40 years ago.

usa5y6yr.jpg

Smells awesome.

And I have period-correct lubricant around:

2yhy6agu.jpg

So that'll go in tomorrow. Maybe she can tool around this weekend.

In lieu of pics of her wrenching, since she's camera shy, here's me:

6e3u8a4a.jpg

Rich Ard said:
she's taking a very matter-of-fact attitude about learning how everything works, so I hope I'm explaining things correctly!

Un-muthafukin-likely

Re: Re: Teaching my wife to ride: Kaw 175

Rich Ard said:
It's worth it.

Tandy and I worked our way through the carb tonight - she's taking a very matter-of-fact attitude about learning how everything works, so I hope I'm explaining things correctly!

Just show her Ichiban's videos..

-sent from sea via corked bottle

6e3u8a4a.jpg

I have forwarded this pic to some of my old friends still working in the gov't.

Homeland Security to be more precise.

Just November. I got a late start though, that's only a few days' growth

Back
Top Bottom