RD350 Build - Mia Wallace

sav0r

Coast to Coast
So i'm relatively new here. I have been lurking for some time, but have posted here and there occasionally. I started my RD350 in September. I always names my race cars. I've had Princess Vespa, Mrs. Draper, and others. This bike will go by Mia Wallace, Pulp Fiction is a favorite of mine.

A little background. The bike was given to me in 2004 as a graduation present when I made it through high school. Both cylinders were seized and the bike had sat outside for more than a few years. After high school I went to college. My undergrad took 5 years. I didn't do enough drinking then so I decided to get a masters. That took another 2. Then I got a job. Now that I have job, I can finally afford the RD.

I've ridden bike since a young age, started with the Honda 50, did various 80cc bikes. Rebuild a '85 KX 80, did the ports, suspension, repainted the frame around the age of 16. I still own that KX as well as an '02 YZ125 which was given to me blown up. Fixed it as well.

Bikes weren't my first passion though. I started karting at a young age, started competing at 8. Raced karts into my early 20's. Landed a professional race car ride for three years. Had a blast, saw the country, but being poor gets old so I gave it up.

So for my RD project I really wanted to tie in some of my experiences and make it my own. The bike itself was in such poor condition that a nice restore was well out of the question. I always watched Moto GP closely, especially loved the 500cc days, and my dad always liked old school race bikes. Since there's a good chance I'll park outside of a cafe, especially cause coffee makes me function, it just seemed natural to go cafe.

I regularly post information on my website - www.chrislivengood.net. Because I spend an ample amount of time keeping my site up, i'll refrain from big write ups here. It's going to be mostly pictures and tiny blurbs. If you want details just go to my site.

Here's where I started in September.
RD-Left-Side.jpg

I forgot how nasty the engine was.
Engine-Left.jpg

Cylinders Cleaned up
Cylinders.jpg

Engine torn down.
Engine-Crud.jpg

Gas tank stripped.
Tank-Clean.jpg

Plug the RPM drive.
RPM-Plug.jpg

Wheels off hubs. More dirt...
Hubs.jpg

She didn't kick me out of the apartment for using the kitchen sink. Probably a good sign.
Sink.jpg

That's better.
Front-Hub.jpg

Aluminum rim and stainless spokes. First time lacing a wheel. Also, a fancy wheel stand.
Spoke-Truing1.jpg

Engine assembled early November.
Engine-Complete.jpg

FZR Forks and Triples on RD350 Frame
Chassis2.jpg

I like to do things the hard way. Custom stainless 17mm axle for the width of the FZR forks, the forks dropouts were drilled to accomodate the bigger axle. The axle is semi hollow and very light.
Stainless-Front-Axle.jpg

Again, going the hard way. Pertonix on the RD.
Pertonix.jpg

Man, the RDs are coming out of the woodwork lately. Cool build. Shame to see that rad 70s paint go though.

VonYinzer said:
Man, the RDs are coming out of the woodwork lately. Cool build. Shame to see that rad 70s paint go though.

I considered keeping it just for it's ridiculousness, but the tank had far too many dents not visible in the picture. Asides from that, some rust started popping through. If I had the money to start the project ten years ago I probably would have...

Edit: VonYinzer, I'm in Lawrenceville. We might be neighbors.

I've got an RD awaiting some love. At the pace I'm going its going to take me 5 years to get to it. Lawrenceville isn't far from me, I'm about 15 miles north of Pittsburgh on Route 28. In Brackenridge currently.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

bowman41 said:
I've got an RD awaiting some love. At the pace I'm going its going to take me 5 years to get to it. Lawrenceville isn't far from me, I'm about 15 miles north of Pittsburgh on Route 28. In Brackenridge currently.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

I grew up in New Bethlehem, my Mom lives in Ford City currently. I'm very familiar with 28 haha.

Rad! Im actually up North in Beaver PA, but not too far from Larryland. I have an R5/RD hybrid in the works myself (along with a DT250, XS650, and CL450). Let me know if ya need any parts. BradJ and I have quite the stash of RD bits, plus we both make a good deal of stuff (he way more than I) ourselves.

Also... I am officially suggesting a meet up. Too many killer builds and cool folks in the area not to.

Ok... Threadjack over. :)

A big part of the frame fell off.
Frame-Cut.jpg

Stamped bits gone. Kickstand tab blasted. It will be moved.
Kickstand-Tab.jpg

Dainty battery. It's four Li-ion laptop batteries in series. Fingers crossed.
Battery.jpg

I finished my FZR fork rebuild. Complete flush, cleaned them out with mineral spirits, drip dried, installed emulators, set/guessed preload, and set oil level. Can't wait to try.
Fork-Cartridge-Emulator.jpg

I spent more than a few hours on this last night. Got all the tubes cut and notched appropriately. Made the steel tabs for the frame. Had to bend those on the break to go from the inch steel up to the 1.25 Aluminum. The dimensions are all laid out. Up next, head to the mill to cut holes and back to the lathe to make hard points. Once that's taken care of, it's welding time.

Mocked-Up-Sub.jpg

Seat hard points welded. Down tubes welded. Gussets and shock mounts mocked up.

Seat-Hard-Points.jpg

Gusset closup.

Gusset-Fitting.jpg

Welded gusset and hard point.

Gusset-Welded.jpg

Shock hard point exterior.

Hard-Point-Exterior.jpg

Start of test assembly.

Rear-Sub-and-Swingarm.jpg

A little further.

Frame-with-Suspension.jpg

It rolls.

Up-On-Wheels.jpg

The tank is painted. Kickstand is on. Pipes bungee'd for mock-up. Clumsy stock DG tabs removed.

Wheels-and-Pipes.jpg

Left Rearset
Left-Rearset.jpg

Chopped, cut, modified, body filled, painted, FZR600 fender (goes with FZR forks). Even though it looks good, it was too heavy and I didn't like that.
Fender.jpg

Pulled a mold off the fender. Waxed the mold.
Mould.jpg

Layed up new fender in mold. Pulled it. Trimmed it some.
New-Fender.jpg

Fender trimmed further. Wiring underway.
Front.jpg

LED headlight in sealed beam.
Headlight.jpg

Headlight functional.
Light-Working.jpg

Kickstand on. All lights working. All electrical components functioning. Rearsets funcitons. Brakes work. Chain on. May have illegally ridden up and down the road a few times.
Side-Shot.jpg

As always, more detailed information can be found at my site. http://chrislivengood.net/wp/tag/rd350/

Made a seat pan.

Seat-Pan-Bottom.jpg

Glassed said seat pan.

Seat-Pan-Glass.jpg

Foamed and mounted the pan.

Seat-with-Foam.jpg

Tested tail lights. All lights working properly.

Tail-Lights-On.jpg

The bike is damn near done. Almost all major systems are completed. I just have to mount the data acquisition system, make a final build electronics tray, finish soldering the wiring and arrange it, then it's down to media blasting all the steel parts and sending them for painting.

Back
Top Bottom