www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Xs750 not starting after changing handle bars  (Read 4294 times)

Offline jxcktheripper

Xs750 not starting after changing handle bars
« on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:23:25 »
Hey everyone, brand new to the site and just bought an xs750 last night. I don't know what went wrong.. All I did was swap out the stock bars with a more cafe style bar. The bike was working relatively fine prior to this and started up no problem. I unscrewed everything and slid all the controls off and then back onto the new bars. The cables are a bit long for the new handle bars but I got everything back on and bolted down and was gonna take it for a test ride but it wouldn't start. All the electrics still work (lights, signals, gauges etc.) but the starter button won't start. I kick started it after a few tries but started at a really high rpm and I smelled like a burning smell so I turned it off. I'm pretty new to bikes and really bummed that this is happening, if anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Offline Bozz

• not nearly cool enough website
Re: Xs750 not starting after changing handle bars
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:28:28 »
Some handlebar controls ground THROUGH the bars, so be aware if your risers attach with rubber vibration isolators (many Yamahas do) the handlebars may not be electrically connected to the chassis ground.  Often there is a washer on the bottom of the riser mount with a wire that connects back into the harness to bring the ground connection to the bars.  You may have disturbed this during your bar upgrade.

This is one possibility.  There are others.  Electrics are all about details and logic.  Patience is key.

Good Luck!

Cheers!
-Bozz

(All opinions worth less than you paid for them!)

Offline plagrone

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:49:59 »
Another possibility is that when you were changing the bars, you strained the wiring and ripped the starter button wire out of its solder or connector, and that the high-revving and burning smell could just be psychological  ;D

Offline jxcktheripper

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:52:26 »
Thanks bozz that might be the problem. I just tried kick starting it and it started but it still revs at a high rpm there's a burning smell that wast there before? Any ideas?

Offline jxcktheripper

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:55:11 »
Plagrone crap.. How would I check that?

Offline jungalist

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2014, 13:16:06 »
Plagrone crap.. How would I check that?

unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2014, 13:19:20 »
multimeter the shit out of them

HA HA HA
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2014, 13:28:31 »
the High RPM's sounds like the now too long throttle cable is binding and your cable is not letting the throttle close completely, the burning smell could be another wire or cable that is now too long making contact to a hotspot like exhaust etc. When you lower bars you need to make sure the cables run smoothly without any sharp bends etc.  Shorter cables and new zip ties for wires to keep them out of harms way is best.  IF short t-cable and clutch cables are too expensive, make sure you check the runs and re-run them differently to keep the bends smooth and check for binding when you steer full lock to lock etc.  and if starter button is broke you can test it in less then 30 secs with the conductivety/resistance part of your multi-meter, put a contact on each wire going in and out of the button, push button does meter move? no look for a broken wire or contact, if meter shows a change, button is good, move to the next place there is a connection, rincse repeat.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jxcktheripper

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2014, 13:34:28 »
the High RPM's sounds like the now too long throttle cable is binding and your cable is not letting the throttle close completely, the burning smell could be another wire or cable that is now too long making contact to a hotspot like exhaust etc. When you lower bars you need to make sure the cables run smoothly without any sharp bends etc.  Shorter cables and new zip ties for wires to keep them out of harms way is best.  IF short t-cable and clutch cables are too expensive, make sure you check the runs and re-run them differently to keep the bends smooth and check for binding when you steer full lock to lock etc.  and if starter button is broke you can test it in less then 30 secs with the conductivety/resistance part of your multi-meter, put a contact on each wire going in and out of the button, push button does meter move? no look for a broken wire or contact, if meter shows a change, button is good, move to the next place there is a connection, rincse repeat.
That really cleared up a lot of questions I had. Thanks man!

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2014, 13:35:07 »
No prob, I made all those mistakes the first time I put lower bars on LOL
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson