1982 Suzuki GS850 Bobber

Make 4 simple drag pipes, and run internal baffles if you need to for noise or backpressure.

What's the scoop on the tank? Read back through and maybe I missed why you've got it raked like that. I'd try out some different tanks.

Hi Tim,

I thought the tank would look better with the rake. I haven't welded anything. I'm still trying to decide what to do. I definitely don't like the stock tank. I can post a picture of the gs550 tank on the stock mounts without the rake. Maybe it will look better.

I don't know what other tank to try. Any suggestion? Im don't want to spend ridiculous amount of money.

I'm assuming you don't really like the new exhaust? I can remove the gold part and leave it with the triple Y manifold.

I haven't seen example of 4 simple drag pipes on this bike. Can you send me a few examples if you have any.

Hey ti,

the thing you will run into with any premade pipes is that they are aesthetically designed to fit on the bike with stock sitting frame. with the frame mods you have made dropping the rear of the bike down any bolt on pipe kits will drag since they will angled lower rather than up on a stock sitting frame. You are more than likely going to have to fab up some pipes off the headers you have there or make some new ones.

food for thought, your swing arm bearings are going to receive a lot of linear tension with the new frame mods since the shocks were removed. the bearings are not necessarily designed for that creating a weak point that will cause some problems for you down the line.

danejurrous said:
Hey ti,

the thing you will run into with any premade pipes is that they are aesthetically designed to fit on the bike with stock sitting frame. with the frame mods you have made dropping the rear of the bike down any bolt on pipe kits will drag since they will angled lower rather than up on a stock sitting frame. You are more than likely going to have to fab up some pipes off the headers you have there or make some new ones.

food for thought, your swing arm bearings are going to receive a lot of linear tension with the new frame mods since the shocks were removed. the bearings are not necessarily designed for that creating a weak point that will cause some problems for you down the line.

I totally agree with you regarding the bearings and exhaust. On the pipe, I might remove the gold part of the exhaust and leave it show. I love loud bikes but im not sure how loud this one will be until I start it. I found this one fearly cheap on ebay. Im building this on a budget and I just got married. Im sure my wife wouldn't want me to spend most of my time in the garage. So finding this exhaust saves me some times in the garage :)

heres mine with the 4 pipes... these have been cut from an 82 (there is no cross over in my 4-2)...

i dont seem to run into any problems with back pressure... and if you look at my thread i havent done anything with the carbs since i bought it...

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45186.msg722373#msg722373

I normally cringe when i see these old gs bikes being chopped up, they were beautiful, and theyre not making any more of 'em... but this was so neglected when you picked it up, it was just crying out for somelove! Book marked

Quintin Snell said:
I normally cringe when i see these old gs bikes being chopped up, they were beautiful, and theyre not making any more of 'em... but this was so neglected when you picked it up, it was just crying out for somelove! Book marked

I know. I felt really bad for the bike.

I have made some progress since my last post but not a lot. I have finally welded the seat and tank.

I will post some pictures.

I tried to start it last week but i think i have a ground problem. The dash turns on with the headlight but the started switch doesn't do anything.

The starter doesn't turn.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    963.5 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 657
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 657
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,010
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    792.7 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    821.6 KB · Views: 505
Does anyone have a simplified diagram for the a 1982 GS850?

Im having trouble starting the bike now that i chopped the bike. I think i have a ground problem.

I would like to redo the wiring.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Also, try flicking your kill switch on and off a few times, it is apparently a common problem with them, it worked with mine. Crud gets stuck in there and shorts it or something, preventing your starter button from working. Maybe also give the entire housing a good cleaning out while youre at it.

the bikes looks pretty great right now. keep up the good work. I have wasted tons of money on 6 or 7 project bikes and can tell you that cv carbs hate hate hate hate hate pod filters. just my 2 cents, but I would keep the air box. I know it looks cooler without it, but a running bike is a lot cooler, and your wife will hate you less if you have a running bike that you aren't stressing out over.

You can get the pods to work on CV carbs if you use the boots from the original air box and the metal part from the pod itself. The rubber boot on the pod just pulls out and then it will slip over the horn part of the original air box boot. I did this on my GS1000GL bobber project and it works awesome.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=61604.0

@bcvivkers hi I'm still trying to underway exactly what you did with the pod filter. I'm not totally sure how just the rubber boot on the pod will affect the bike.

Guys, it been a while since I have posted any progress. I was able to find the issues that were prevented the bike from starting. The first thing was the fuse box has a loose connection. You have to touch it and press the fuses a little to make the connect. The second thing was a ground issued. When I started cutting pieces of the chassis, I cut the plate where the fuse box and the voltage regulator is mounted. This means that I had to ground to the components mounted on the plate. I made a jumper cable to ground and everything stArted working again.

Here are a couple pictures, I made this motorcycle table last weekend while cleaning up the garage. I have not welded the rear fender yet!

im having a hard time making the seat level. i want to have a nice stream line between the tank and the seat as well. this weekend im going to try and lower the front of the seat.

ticrazy05 said:
@bcvivkers hi I'm still trying to underway exactly what you did with the pod filter. I'm not totally sure how just the rubber boot on the pod will affect the bike.

If you look into each rubber boot from the carb end you will see that the pod boot has a large lip on the inside to supposed prevent it from sliding onto the carb too far. This lip plugs up the CV air/vacuum sensing port (oval shaped port on the rim of the carb air inlet) which doesn't let the carb operate correctly. The boots from the stock airbox don't have the large lip on the inside and thus allow the carb's to operate properly.

I hope that explains it better. I can take pictures of mine later on this week if that would help.

bcvickers said:
If you look into each rubber boot from the carb end you will see that the pod boot has a large lip on the inside to supposed prevent it from sliding onto the carb too far. This lip plugs up the CV air/vacuum sensing port (oval shaped port on the rim of the carb air inlet) which doesn't let the carb operate correctly. The boots from the stock airbox don't have the large lip on the inside and thus allow the carb's to operate properly.

I hope that explains it better. I can take pictures of mine later on this week if that would help.

Thank you! i will give it a try. Im gonna sell by parts and order a set of pods.

Back
Top Bottom