Xs750 896cc engine rebuild and chop!

Was out and about yesterday and it was missing quite a bit when hammering it from low/mid throttle, improved with choke so i might try opening the needle jets a size or two. Also installed the stock revcounter to see if it actually pulls to redline.. a lot of fine tuning to be done here.. just to rule anything out i will cut the tongue off an old plug to a 5mm gap just to verify the coils.

Opened up the emulsion holes in the needle jet and honed out the pilot jets from 38 to 42.5, then i went down from 170 mains to 150. Also put the correct shims (1.2mm raised from stock) and voila! Pulls hard to redline, no misses, stumbles or hesitation. Job done.

Got some life in the old budget action cam last night, tried an awesome piece of road with fresh tarmac i never drove before. Will try to upload a clip

Thanks, still fiddling with idle mix and synch. These carbs only have one synch screw so shouldnt be too hard..

c600da9684ddd079e0a6a077d3b76623.jpg

Sidetracking again.. getting this running for a friend in the garage.
Dont think i will be doing much on the bronze bobber this winter, unless i get a hold of Franks about some seriously long forks, at least 10 or 12" over. Then i will have to start thinking about new triples..

David, what carbs are on that bike, and do you happen to know what series of pilot jets it uses?

Cheers

They are keihin carbs, i think 42 is stock pilot jet size. Reamed mine to 45. If that is what you are asking?

Back
Top Bottom