www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: '76 Suzuki TS185 "Roker"  (Read 22124 times)

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
'76 Suzuki TS185 "Roker"
« on: Nov 01, 2014, 05:29:11 »
Alright I thought I would start a build thread for the latest addition to my garage. I picked her up for cheap off a friend who knows I have been chasing a 2T thumper.
She has come straight from a farm and has only been sitting for about a year. As this is my first smoker I am up for a bit of a learning curve.
This bike will not be getting the same treatment the GS has been, this will be a quick and dirty Cafe build. Rattle can paint, sandblasting in the front yard and a "close enough" attitude.
The main thing I will focus on is having the motor running well. Cosmetics are not a big deal as this will be my new daily.

So the problems I was instantly faced with were two snapped bolts in the upper triple and one bar clamp missing. Lucky for me I was given a pair from my friend. I decided to focus on cleaning up the rear end first, then the front. After welding some nuts to the remaining thread the two bolts were easy to remove. But the throttle was a different story. I ended up having to drill the heads off the bolts as they were stripped out and there was no way any screwdriver would remove them.

Here are a few quick pictures with more tomorrow.

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2014, 06:08:42 by Brodie »
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.

Offline Erskine

Re: '76 Suzuki TS185, unnamed project.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2014, 09:18:52 »
Subscribed, small bike builds are the most interesting :)

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2014, 10:04:06 »
Awesome.  I'm start to search for a smoker too, and I don't know shit about them.  I'll learn along.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2014, 11:50:16 »
Ok so from my narrow understanding this bikes lower end is lubed by the oil injection system.
So I need to have the bottle and pump.
Works a bit different to the outboards I am used to.

Offline WhyNot

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • ~~~If it ain't raining, I'm riding~~{iii}?~~prost~
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2014, 12:32:53 »
Subscribed, small bike builds are the most interesting :)

Me too...........wish I could get my little tinker toy off and running.

But, some of these builds I read don't make me feel to too bad, there's one I'm watching first post was in 2010.

So, my tinker toy build isn't to far off.

Interested in seeing where this one goes.
2006 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
1975 Honda CB750K5 needs carb work
1974 Honda CB350F2 needs tins painted exhaust
1972 Honda CB175K2 roller no engine
1972 Honda CB/CL350 Engines need roller
1972 Honda CB100K2 needs kicker shaft
1990 Mitsubishi MM needs engine rebuild

Offline Erskine

« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2014, 12:56:26 »
Ok so from my narrow understanding this bikes lower end is lubed by the oil injection system.
So I need to have the bottle and pump.
Works a bit different to the outboards I am used to.

Yep Defo worth re-installing and not going pre-mix.

Offline Macbethpoe

• Ride safe
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2014, 13:12:17 »
Yeah just get this thing rollin, looks like it would be lots of fun.  Be sure to get a ridiculous exhaust to really amplify that awesome 2-stroke sound! Haha and don't forget the GS!  ;)

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2014, 19:50:51 »
I am thinking about just flipping this pipe until I find something more suitable. I was planning to find a wrecked moped and use exhaust parts from that.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2014, 22:39:10 »
I just removed the engine from the frame. It has quite a few spots where the previous owner has used... silicone.... to patch a few leaks and unwanteds such as the tach port.

I gave the engine a quick bath and she started to look a lot better. I also noticed I need a new rear brake cable.

So my plan is to leave the engine as it has good compression and focus on pulling everything down, replacing bearings, greasing spots and sandblasting the frame. After I get that sorted a quick carb rebuild and a few bits of dodgy wiring and we will be set.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2014, 06:39:48 »
Did a bit of work on the wheels today. I pulled the rear off and sand blasted it ready for painting. I then attempted to remove the front axle, but the bike had other plans. So I removed the fork caps and got a bit of heat into the axle and spacers. After that came the hammer and all was right once again.
That propane torch has become my favourite tool.
After I blasted both front and rear rims I called up the tyre shop and ordered some shoes, this looks to be the first set of road tyres this bike has seen. As I am trying to keep this a very low budget build so I went with the cheapest tyres that will fit. So a Pirelli City Demon on the rear and a Bridgestone Bt45 on the front.

I can tell it has been jumped and had a hard life. There is a flat spot on the front rim, only small which should be easy to fix. The rear shocks are dead, the front seals leak and the retainer bolt at the fork base also leaks on both forks.

Looks like a front end spruce up will be in order, along with new rear shocks. I have a set of Chinese shocks off an old quad I wrecked. They are about 2 inches longer that the set on there and have different sized bushes.
I was thinking of using those but now I am leaning towards having a set made when I have a pair made for my GS.

I also started sanding the tank. I knew it had a hole in it somewhere as one of the first things I noticed when I bought the bike was sticky fuel residue on the bottom of the tank. There is a small crack just below where the back of the tank sits on the rubber mount, nothing a bit of metal epoxy won't fix.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2014, 06:43:04 by Brodie »