www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: $50 mod thread  (Read 287491 times)

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
Re: $50 mod thread
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:58:34 »
my buddy ICE came up wiht this one... works great i use it all the time to clean up wires and get it together:
Cheap alterative to the billet clamps and other bought stuff. Use zip ties and tuding to create your own spacers. Turns out to be shock mounted too.

Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2008, 19:13:51 »
I really like the last one, seems like a good way to clean things up on the cheap.

Offline Bouncer

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2008, 22:18:27 »
This guy:

To take off this guy:

All you have to do is find the right size drill bits. It is a piece of flat bar with the drill bits drilled through. Much cheaper then a face spanner wrench.
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is madness. -Mark Twain

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2008, 12:53:14 »
now that my friend is a GREAT little trick
Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2008, 12:25:19 »
come on guys i know i am not the only one...
Mod: stripping a tank
Cost: 15 bucks

head out get a 99c paint chip brush, aircraft stripper (i prefer the liquid form)
1. pour the stripper on
2. spread it around with the brush
3. wait
4. scrape off old paint (wear chemical gloves, i like to use 000 steel wool and plastic scraper)
5. rinse off with water
 paint free tank

Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2008, 12:27:57 »
removing old powder coat without sanding
Cost 10 - 20 bucks

just get some gasket stripper... spray it down with that... let it sit for 20 min, then add a coat of air craft stripper and let that sit for another 10 min... use steel wool and cemical gloves to scrub off the old powder... rinse the part well and wipe down with some rubbing alchole
Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2008, 13:15:26 »
One thing rarely mentioned is the disposal of the stripper/paint etc.  Does everyone just keep adding jerry cans to their collection full of this crap and then finally get out to the haz-mat depot to get rid of it, or do you dump it on the wife's garden?
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline ericngsta

• smallstate
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2008, 13:41:15 »
god damn, I have sooooo many bottles of everything.  I'm too lazy to get to a haz mat depot, should probably do that before it all goes up in flames.  the last time I used stripper, I washed it off with a hose.  It was a spray kind, I dont know how you would store that though.
kill it with fire.

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2008, 13:44:00 »
i will not comment on how i dispose of mine... lets just say it goes away at 3 am when no one is on the street
Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

Offline Flugtechnik

• My bike is not transportation, it is a respite
    • Nixon and Me
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2008, 14:44:18 »
Seems like an obvious mod, but I figured I'd post what I did.

Mod:  Installing Clubman Bars
Cost: $25-$50

Clubmans - $20-$25
Heat Shrink - $5
New Grips - Optional - $20

1.  Disconnect wires to handlebar controls behind headlight
2.  Disconnect Throttle, Clutch and Brake Cables
3.  Remove handlebar clamps and remove old bars
4.  Remove handlebar control housings and pull old wires out
5.  Use compressed air to remove the left side grip
6.  Remove old heat shrink from wires and put new softer heat shrink on
7.  Put clubmans on the bike to figure out what position you want them in
8.  Use the old bars to figure out where to put the holes for the wires
9.  Drill / cut / grind the holes for the wires  *Make sure to round / debur the edges so they don't cut the wires*
10.  Feed the wire bundles through the bars.  NOT EASY due to the 90° bend.  Best advice is to take it slow and Push then Pull...Push/Pull...Push/Pull
11.  Reinstall left grip with compressed air
12.  Mount bar and reinstall bar clamps
13.  Reconnect wires behind the headlight and make sure everything works.
14.  Lube Cables since they are already disconnected
15.  Reconnect Cables and attach control housings