www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: $50 mod thread  (Read 305885 times)

Offline IMOALE

• Onw Mean Chihuahua
Re: $50 mod thread
« Reply #70 on: Jan 06, 2009, 20:55:17 »
LOL I paid a 20 spot for mine (rectifier) oh well it had a nice new connector set I needed to.  (Still not $20 bucks even with postage Oh well lack of knowledge)  Glad I'm sticking with CB350 for my next two builds saving money already.  Nice tables both.  Ive been lucky Lowes let me have to kobalt work benches for 60 bucks, because they were missing a drawer each. ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2009, 20:57:46 by IMOALE »
One Mean Chihuahua

Offline Flugtechnik

• My bike is not transportation, it is a respite
    • Nixon and Me
« Reply #71 on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:21:17 »
I'm starting to think this may not be a really good thread as just about every mod we cheap bastards make to our bike is less than $50.  It may have been relevant to those HD folks that pay $300 for a turn signal.  I already have 3 more mods that I plan to post after I do them.

Offline johnson_steve

« Reply #72 on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:44:32 »
I'm starting to think this may not be a really good thread as just about every mod we cheap bastards make to our bike is less than $50.  It may have been relevant to those HD folks that pay $300 for a turn signal.  I already have 3 more mods that I plan to post after I do them.

I think this topic is a great idea and is yeilding some nice mods. However at 5 pages and growing it's going to get hard to sort through real quick. It already crashes safari on my iPod if I try to scroll before all the pictures load. Is there anyway it could be made into a sub-forum and split into 1 topic for each mod? We have sub forums on other parts of the site, and eveyone knows the search function here isn't the best so it helps to have things laid out clearly.

Offline Flugtechnik

• Nixon and Me
« Reply #73 on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:46:48 »
I was being a bit sarcastic.  I love this thread, but it will get quite long.  Joe promised to index the mods on the first post.

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #74 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:21:31 »
i will index it once we get about 20 mods on here... then i will do an index of 20 a piece...
Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline johnson_steve

« Reply #75 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:57:37 »
Ahh, I see. I still think the sub-forum would be cool but that will work.

Offline johnson_steve

« Reply #76 on: Jan 09, 2009, 12:07:04 »

If the bike your talking about is the late model CB400T the regulator is built into the rectifier unit.
1978 3 valve/cyl motors have a 6 or 7 wire rect/reg. 3 yellow, 1 black (battery voltage), 1 Red (permanent live), and one or two green wires (ground)  Its designed to handle around 25 amps @14 volts for short periods, 4~5 amp constant
PJ

You sure know your shit pj. That's my bike exactly. However the only stock wiring on it now are the wires going to the alternator. my rectifier/regulator was bad when I got the bike. It and all the other wiring have been replaced with a much more modern system of my own design. I don't like trying to troubleshoot someone elses circuits, it requires geting into their head and thinking like them. It is much easier for me to start from scratch. Then when something goes wrong I know why and how to fix it.

Offline njsoccerguy

« Reply #77 on: Jan 15, 2009, 15:55:40 »
OK, not really a mod, but a cheap fix and very useful for all your chrome bits.

I learned this from my BMX buddies, I collect vintage bmx and 80's freestyle bikes and there is a really good way to remove rust from chrome parts, without using abbrasive materials or the electrolysis set up.  It's called an OA bath.

OA is short for oxalic acid, commonly found in wood bleach, like the stuff you would clean your deck with.  You can pick it up in powder form or in liquid form already diluted.  You can find the liquid forms at Home Depot or Lowes or your local hardware store.  Just ask for wood bleach.  The important thing is to read the ingredients on the jug, because you can also get wood bleach with sulfuric acid (I think that's the other ingredient), and you don't want that.  Oxalic Acid is the stuff your looking for.

I use 1 large container of wood bleach, I think its about 64 oz, and fill up a large rubbermaid plastic container with warm water.  I do this outside, but I do know people who use their tub (not recommending it though).  Let it sit for a few hours and every so often just rub it with a towel or soft bristle brush.  You'll be amazed at how the rust just disappears.  After you have finished, make sure you dry the item really well, and I coat the non-plated side ( like the inside of headlight ears) with WD-40, to make sure the non-chromed areas don't rust up again.

Do not use on aluminum or with bare metal. It will turn both black.

But it does work wonders on chrome.  If you have items with surface rust, give it a try. Try it on something you don't really care about first, just to make sure it's good................I know it is, but I am also always skeptical of using someone elses ideas first without seeing it first hand or having practiced on something I don't care about.   If the rust has gone through the chrome, you will still have "peppering" but it won't be all scratched up from using abbrasive cleaners or materials.

I'll try to get some pics of some things I've soaked up real soon.

Offline Flugtechnik

• Nixon and Me
« Reply #78 on: Jan 15, 2009, 16:23:52 »
Ha!  :D

Oxalic Acid is also available in powdered form at any grocery store.  I buy "Barkeepers Friend" in a goldish can in the cleaners isle.  I use it to clean my stainless brewing equipment and pots, as well as my sink!

I've never tried it on chrome.  The BKF does have an abrasive in it, but as long as you don't rub it on the part, it shouldn't scratch it.

I think a can is like $1.50.

Offline njsoccerguy

« Reply #79 on: Jan 15, 2009, 16:34:40 »
Ha!  :D

Oxalic Acid is also available in powdered form at any grocery store. 

Man, and I always run soooooo much farther from my house to get it, when there's a grocery store right around the corner from me.  What is it in there, or is it just for sale as OA??