'53 Triumph 6T Thunderbird 650 chopper restoration

2/14/08

Polished bits arrived this evening.

ry%3D480

Gotta love the shiny bits.

3/27/08

Getting back up to speed on this project; it's over the hump and starting to be in the assembly phase-

Had the inner primary welded up where id had JB-Weld before. Not that I don't trust JB-Weld...

310563602.jpg

New parts arrival this week - throttle & cable, JRC "Superior" carb, pancake air filter, exhaust headers, 6v horn & horn button, left footpeg & footpeg through-bolt w/ spacers, sludge trap & plug, a few rear sprung hub parts, rod bearings, footpg & control rubbers, primary chain & final drive chain.

310563605.jpg

Ordered a custom bearing to fit the "large main journal" new style crank and the "small aperature" old style timing side case. (Don't worry, I loctited & bolted the sump tube down before I closed the cases)
This is a fairly well-known upgrade for the old pre-unit style cranks that have no big-end bearing shells for the connecting rods; simply drop in a newer style crank and replace the timing side main bearing with the proper custom-fit bit.

310563604.jpg

New hex-head sludge trap plug, peened in place and dated.

310563603.jpg

Bottom end is almost done, just need to clean the gasket face and bolt it all up...

310564515.jpg

4/21/08

Got good news today, the rear hub & rim are at BUCHANAN'S being laced up (finally).

I sent them to someone else, and it's been over 2 months with NO WORD. The good thing is they sent them to Buchanan's because they know what the &^%$# they are doing! Since Buchanan's know who I am, they're going to press the issue to get the wheel back to me directly.

So, the rear wheel will be done and back by the end of the week. Should have a rolling chassis real quick-like.

Bottom line: DO NOT USE EAST COAST WHEELS! They are the worst liars I've ever met. I'm shocked that they actually re-boxed my wheels and sent them to Buchanan's.

4/24/08

Got the engine lump lowered into the chassis and nipped up with newly Cad plated hardware.

ry%3D480

Also found a complete tranny that will donate it's innards to the project. It had ONE broken tooth on one gear in the cluster; guess which gear on the original was the ONLY one with no broken teeth? Yep, the same one.

ry%3D480

Got the jugs bored and blasted, then washed & painted. Pistons ready to go on.

ry%3D480

Finally this project seems like it's getting rolling.

7/15/08

Jugs & Slugs all done with de-burred tappets & reamed guide blocks (sorry for the blurry photo, must've been the coffee).

325694125.jpg

The rear wheel got back THREE MONTHS after I sent it to the East Coast Idiots (no photo, sorry). Buchanan's did the actual work, and it looks fantastic.

10/28/08

FINALLY got the correct oversize intake valves and got the head back from the machinist.

340664066.jpg

340664053.jpg

Cams are timed...

340664061.jpg

Top end snugly in place-

340664056.jpg

Keihin PWK (JRC "Superior" flat-slide 30mm carb installed, the intake hole lines up nicely with the hole in the frame

340664055.jpg

Also got the transimssion mounts done and the primary system installed, pix later today along with whatever else gets done.

This chopper is getting somewhere finally!

12/10/08

On the ground, in the light of day!

A local bearing distributor had the front wheel bearings and the bottom yoke stem bearing, I just re-used the loose ball & 2-piece race upper for now, till I can get the correct sealed bearing.

No nasty comments, please; some of the stuff is just mocked up and not finished.

346691602.jpg

Sitting position is perfectly natural with feet slightly on the cruiser pegs; it'll be almost the same, only a bit to the rear, with the standard pegs for shifting and braking.

346691611.jpg

1/6/09

Headlight arrived, tail light is on it's way. Also, 1" handlebars w/ controls & grips (waiting on risers to mount them)-

350182409.jpg

1/9/09

The risers finally got here, so I got the bars installed. (lost this and several other photos)

Only photo left-
350546157.jpg

Still fiddling with the magneto, and the magneto is having "issues", so it's close, but not quite. Painter is prepping the tank & rear fender, STILL don't have a good front fender that'll work with the lines of the bike...

1/13/09

Forget it. I'm not going to worry about spark; I ordered a brand new Joe Hunt magneto, and I'll set this BTH aside to use on my '62 TR6SS.

REAL SOON, this sucker is going to be running. Tail light should get here today and I'll knock out the wiring.

1/31/09

Okay, who can spot the non-standard item on this new Joe Hunt pre-unit magneto?

353234185.jpg

(big ol' coke machine key)

2/7/09

Further along, Freddy will come have a look tomorrow.

I set my spare 500 gas tank on just for the photo, tank & fender are still at the painter's.

354053250.jpg

Magneto just needs to be timed, I couldn't find the second plug wire so I just stuck a temporary one on there. Carb is all set up and throttle connected-

354053267.jpg

Tail light mount worked out, just need to get it powdercoated or chromed-
(Dang, another lost photo, thanx photobucket)

2/20/09

Tank & fender are back from paint. Photos never really do the stuff justice, the Black looks dripping wet and the Red looks like "Fire Engine Red". The Gold lining is a very light gold, not the typical yellow, works real well with all the chrome and polished aluminum.

355522001.jpg

It's high time I removed the protective blue stuff from the whitewall rear tire, but I need to get the sucker running first. Not much to do but run the oil & fuel lines and it should light off. If not today, it'll be tomorrow.

2/23/09

Finally got the oil lines & fittings completed on Saturday, dumped a couple quarts in the tank and started bleeding the system. Rigged up a quick kill wire to the magneto, made a rocket ship run to the hardware store for a gas tank reducer fitting and hooked up a section of clear fuel line, then dumped in about a half gallon of premium.

Sadly, it didn't start on the first kick. It didn't start on the next dozen or so kicks, either. Then, I realized I didn't pull up on the choke lever! After I did so, it greeted me with one ever-loving loud pop and sputter.

After another 2 or 3 kicks it sprung to life and then sputtered. A quick tweak of the carb idle screw and it then proceeded to start normally and settled into a good fast idle. It wouldn't stay lit without the choke for a good minute while I checked for oil return and leaks (good return, no leaks); FINALLY it settled into a proper tickover without the choke.

I'm sure I need to get the air filter installed so it will really start and run right, and I need to wire up the lights, horn, and permanent kill button. Then, with a chain, I can take it for it's maiden voyage.

This little beastie hadn't run in AT LEAST 30 years, maybe 35 or more.

Another good sign, there isn't a single drop of oil on the shop floor underneath it after 2 days.

Did I mention that those large-bore straight pipes are LOUD?

3/4/09

The bike is running, but not detailed. We took it to a show, but the classes were real limited, so it was up against a couple of high-dollar fat-tire choppers and kit bikes (all HD). It didn't have a chance with that crowd.

357010423.jpg

357010431.jpg

Still need to wire up the lights & controls, and fine-tune the timing & carb jetting for easiest starting and best running.

I think it looks pretty decent with that paint job!

4/9/09

It's all set for one-kick starting with a nice idle, took it out for a good little ride and it wants to pop out of 1st gear, I need to sort that out.

We're showing it again this weekend, then it's down to finalizing all the details and finally get it into Freddy's hands.

Wow! Just took a look at post #1 - 4/2/07........ TWO YEARS!!!

Thankfully, Freddy is patient and he's been calling the shots on stuff that takes extra time, so he's happy.

6/3/09

Man, it was one heck of a wild month of May; I'm real glad it's over.

The T-Bird still isn't finished and it's already been a big hit at TWO bike shows!

I got the tranny issue sorted out; it was popping out of 1st, turns out it was a mismatched cog. I had spares, did the swap and it's golden. The test ride just outside our private property was closely scrutinzed by one of Laredo's finest, sitting in his Chrysler hemi patrol unit; he never gave me a second look even though the bike has no plate at all. Since he didn't budge the first time by, i went by a second time and goosed open the throttle to let him hear the open straight pipes; maybe he was a vintage Brit iron buff...

Also sorted out the carb flooding issue by simply adjusting the float level. Sourced the three original primary cover screws that bolt the whole assembly up to the crankcase and I'm compleetely done with all that mess. Adjusted primary and final drive chains, re-torqued the head, swapped the plug leads for a new matched set, and nipped up some loose hardware here and there.

Now it's all down to the lighting and wiring, I need to drill the handlebars and frame to fish the wiring through, mount the battery, and that's about it!

No pix worth posting at the moment, sorry...

10/20/09

The bike is totally finished, but the owner's failing health is such that he can't kickstart it. He was pretty bummed that he knew he wasn't going to be able to enjoy it if he had to limit his rides to the times when his son could ride along and start the bike for him.

So, I offered him Sally's '02 Bonnie and some cash, and a bumper for his truck, and my 12 guage shotgun, and a payment on his rental wheels & tires. Yeef!

The bike is now mine.

However, Sally wants the money from her Bonnie, so the chopper is for sale.

Back
Top Bottom