www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build  (Read 107587 times)

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build
« on: Jun 22, 2015, 05:50:20 »
Hi all,

New to the forum but not so new to building bikes.  I hope to post some projects I have worked on over the years to share some knowledge and experiences - after all I have gained a lot of insight from people posting their own projects on various forums.

This thread will hopefully be mainly focused on a build I am working on now - a 1983 Yamaha SR250.  There are and have been many conversions of this particular bike - I have seen SR250 cafe racers, bobbers, trackers etc, but I am hoping to throw in a couple of original things and am developing parts for sale for it along the way.  The aim/direction is to build a bike that does not conform to any particular style/genre, but rather take cues from many and to create something that looks clean and almost standard in some ways.  I am not a huge fan of extravagant overly worked customs with wacky paint jobs.  Each to his own of coarse!

Hoping to gain and share information and skills working on this bike :)

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
Re: Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2015, 05:54:12 »
The original bike was in pretty decent condition.  Almost a shame to cut it up... except for the fact that these bikes are unapologetically ugly in standard trim!

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2015, 05:57:22 »
Investigating a possible seat form and seeing what some tear-drop style handle bars would look like (got a 3D printer at home  ;D)

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2015, 06:09:43 »
Working on lowering the tank to achieve a better line with the frame rails.  Plus looking at how the seat base could be made without removing the stock mudguards that i like.  To remove the original tank mounts, just punch a hole right in the middle of each of the 3 spot welds and drill until the weld is removed - but don't drill through the entire sheet metal thickness.  The mounts should then just pull off with some pliers or something.

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2015, 06:54:40 »
Buying resources of inspiration...  This is a goodn'   ;D

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2015, 06:56:57 »
Rear frame loop investigation plus another look at above yoke clip-ons.  Also thinking about designing a fork brace for the flimsy 32mm stanchions... 

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2015, 07:10:26 »
Investigating the possibility of running 19" dirt track style tyres for a street tracker style look...  Involves measuring the standard spokes and calculating the percentage increase to get from a 16" rim to a 19" rim.  I also did a quick check to see if the rims/tyres would actually fit using a cardboard rim haha.  Turns out it is too tight for my liking and really exaggerates the flimsiness of the front forks - just look at the contrast from front on with the massive 19" tyre.  Looks goofy.  Yes I could do a front fork conversion - I have done one before with a Yamaha DT400:

But I want this bike to be a slightly easier build in terms of avoiding adapting parts from other bikes.

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2015, 07:36:34 »
Btw, if anyone has questions about how or why i did a certain thing, please fire away.  I have received so much help from forums over the years and have not really given anything back.  So I hope this can be my chance to give back to the community. 

I got quite a few views on youtube for a SR250 I built 4 years ago when I was a real newb and many people asked for more photos of certain aspects of the bike and if I had documented it online at any time - which I didn't/hadn't.  But this build will be different!  That old bike (which I sold to a friend) can be seen here:

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2015, 07:47:16 »
Feels like this project is all over the show but I want to do everything at once!  Looking at a nicer battery box/tray design that fits the battery and electrics plus maybe a relocated ignition...

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2015, 08:09:15 »
Fork brace measurements and first prototype...  Plus considering a 16" front wheel conversion instead of the 19" conversion.  This will give a more bobberish look.  I always liked bikes that had even rim diameters much more than ones with odd diameters.  I just think it looks 'right'.  I would also like to integrate the front fender into the brace design - so I can eventually shave the forks  ;D