1973 ironhead 1000. "the dark side" dead tail

Tune-A-Fish said:
A Ducati USD with single disk Brembo would be cool. ::)

Tune-A has a point. A potential used Harley buyer might shun an Ironhead w/ Jap parts but who could turn down sexy Italian parts? ;D

Hey, speaking of Jap parts... wouldn't that Ninja 1000 rear wheel you have fit into that frame? Hmmm, you've still got those forks, too. They are, at least the right scale for it, that would be quite a set-up.

Just my 2c but you have a pretty sharp traditional chop in your hands. You COULD go goofy and start throwing sportbike parts at it, but why? It's been done, is being done, etc. Nothing new there.

If you do plan on selling, adding that stuff will cut your price in half. The only folks who can get away with that kind of stuff and MAKE money are well known builders.

Again, just my opinion.

That has a lot of validity, especially if marketing consists of Craigslist ;)

That said the bike was hideous... before.

These are cool kids and the sporty... well it's "rad".

Attachments

• Willitchopcrop.jpg
    Willitchopcrop.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 950
Yeah, traditional would be the way I'd go with it. Your idea of building a springer was something to consider. I hope you keep it around awhile.

Re: 1973 ironhead 1000. "the dark side" dead tail

mmmmm yeah I like the traditional look myself =)
eaa59bb7051e0a589a974ba22fdbc346.jpg

That said, I have thought about the duc suspension several times, but that may be for the next one. I don't want a "cookie cutter" bike, but I don't think im gonna stray to far outta the box on this one.

hurco550 said:
mmmmm yeah I like the traditional look myself =)

That looks like a Harley Sprint tank with mounting flanges modified to mount with bolts and dampers, I used one for the Modified just a differnt model.

If you can score one as sweet as this... you just saved on paint and or patina... If you find two... ones mine 8)

IMG_2151.JPG

I know where one Is at. Still has a motorcycle attached to it though

That's a Superglide or an 80's XLS Roadster tank on the blue bike. I'm betting XLS since the hardtail has the kink at the seat mount like most of the 79-81 hardtails. A little larger then a Sprint tank, about the same lines. Either would look good. I used a Superglide tank on a previous build and got a lot of complements and a couple of magazine pages out of it. I've got a 79 XLS partly restored and just picked up a 73 basket case that I want to get back on the road.

Attachments

• 1979 Sportster 2.JPG
    1979 Sportster 2.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • mississippi parts.jpg
    mississippi parts.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 977
?? seems like deal time if you guys can use them. https://memphis.craigslist.org/mpo/5251317638.html

$250, been her a ling while

00505_2hEvNtS5zPZ_600x450.jpg

I can probably use them, but I need new cases first, the transmission on the 73 exited unexpectedly. Horn Lake, MS, I lost a trailer on I-55 there in 1981. I also saw the largest eastern diamondback rattlesnake I've ever seen when I went check on the trailer.

hurco550 said:
hmm I like this style.... and its simple!

Again this magnetizes the blade that cuts between a keeper and a flipper. Anything but traditional will likely reduce the interest and in turn, the resale value. Obviously there's the 'unique' selling point but more often than not, it just doesn't work that way.

Cool setup. I would think the standouts holding those springs would need to be mighty strong to pass the test of time. Is that a proven design? I am not familiar with it.

DohcBikes said:
Again this magnetizes the blade that cuts between a keeper and a flipper. Anything but traditional will likely reduce the interest and in turn, the resale value. Obviously there's the 'unique' selling point but more often than not, it just doesn't work that way.

Cool setup. I would think the standouts holding those springs would need to be mighty strong to pass the test of time. Is that a proven design? I am not familiar with it.

I know I know lol. I just like unique stuff. I know what you said about "pay yourself 35 an hour for the time" and I get that, BUT I work on bikes as a hobby. I fabricate as a hobby. I do it for fun and not always to get a huge return. That's just me lol

I had never seen this design before I saw it on this bike at Goodguys Car show in C-bus back in 09. Never seen one like it since. I know its a "show bike". That may seriously mean that this front end style is only good for going from the trailer to the parking spot.

I just though it was neat and worth looking at. I think there would need to be a brace between the two spring rods to keep the thing from twisting really bad, and those perches would need to be super beefy.

Back
Top Bottom