Micrometer recommendation for measuring crank journals, cams etc.

wahvtec

Been Around the Block
Hello,

I'm looking to get a micrometer for measuring crank journals, cams, etc. I know the bearing tolerances are around 0.002-0.003 ", so I'm assuming I need a micrometer with resolution of 0.001 mm to really get the job done. I don't want to say the words cheap/affordable along with decent micrometer, because I understand those are mutually exclusive. However, I don't believe as a home builder a starrett is my only option. I see some decent mitutoyo micrometers on ebay that come along with standards. I'm considering these as it seems you could get an older model that is of decent quality for less money, then calibrate it. Am I way off in that? I have also read conflicting reviews of fowler micrometers. Obviously the cheapest is junk, but are their $80-$100 models up to the task? What are you guys using?

Thanks in advance,

I notice somebody bid right after i posted... so Im going to break the link until you post back whether it was you or not. 9 hrs left on the auction. Dont wanna have some .net guy buying them ;D

Haha yeah I did. It happens to be right around what I wanted to spend. Thanks for the heads up! I better get off ebay, and forums and do some work now haha.

good god has this stuff gone up

i have had my set of mics and bore gauges and inside mics for 35 or so years

the starrett set i have is now worth over 2500??? i remmeber when i bought them i though then that 450 was a lot

haha yeah, it also seems that they are either super expensive, or it's an off brand so cheap it's scary. Not much of a middle ground.

I have Starrett and Browne & Sharpe sets. Hard to go wrong with either. Pricey little guys, though.

Mitutoyo makes devices just as good as Starrett for a little better price.

I use these spi mics, and this is a steal. Carbide tipped, ten thousandths graduation (.0001) and I've been very impressed with them. I did tool and die work with them and if we're being honest, unless your temperature controlled,they are as precise or more than you'll ever need. I'd buy these again in a heartbeat. If I were in the market, the buy it now button would already be hit!!!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=272096528440&alt=web

Just realized that half that set is missing, my bad. Still not a bad deal, but you world be missing a few inch length measurements

Well i won that ebay auction. Its not starrett or mitutoyo, but im sure itll be more than sufficient for my home needs. I was happy it also came with all the standards so i can do verifications. From a little reading its the same importer supplying blue point and few others. The larger sizes will prolly be useful at work. Anyway cant wait for them to get here and get the nighthawk project moving forward. Thanks again for the info guys ill get on your level once i get a few rebuilds under my belt. Yall have some great tools.

Attachments

• $_1.jpeg
    $_1.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 467
Awesome! What did you have to pay if you don't mind me asking?

Around $120 after shipping. They're 157 before shipping through matco. I believe im only missing the spanner which is 8 bucks on amazon. Fit my budget and i got a few more calipers than i planned haha.

Good buy, and there is no reason those won't last you a long time if you take good care of them!

For sure i take care of my tools. The number one cause of death is someone borrowing them...and these wont be loaned out..ever

Back
Top Bottom