Tires for a '72 Honda: Firestone? Battlax? Avons?

WildeJ

Been Around the Block
I have a 1972 Honda CB 350F

Front tire stock is 3.00 18
Rear tire stock is 3.500 18

Any suggestions on a tire for my bike? A buddy has the Firestone Deluxe champions, but Ive heard awful things about them. Its amazing that so many ppl are willing to deal with their shortcomings just for looks. Im not so sure I would endanger my life for looks.

thoughts?

518.jpg

Just about any modern tyre will be a vast improvement over the original 'super sliders'
You'll want a 90/90x18 front and a 100/90x18 rear if your using stock rims although a 110/90 rear is also acceptable.
You can fit larger sizes but it really isn't recommended and can cause handling problems. Personally, I fit either WM2 or WM3 front rim and a WM3 rear rim to (mostly ;) ) stock hubs

How bout some AVON Trailriders? I'd betcha almost nobody here has them yet, at that would apeal to somebody special such as yourself.

Trailrider.png

crazypj said:
Pretty sure you can't get them small enough for a 350F?
110/80-18 would probably squeeze on there eh? Maybe not, I dont know what rims he has. With this guy's luck and talent he can run whatever wheel his rainbow heart desires

Handling concerns,,,pfft. He will simply transcend physics and evolve the proper way to ride, then we will all be behind the times. Do not underestimate the WildeMan

crazypj said:
Pretty sure you can't get them small enough for a 350F?

just bought 90/90 -18's and 100/90-18's avon roadrider for my gt250 from motorcycle superstore. They probably don't have the right "look" though for this project...

hurco550 said:
just bought 90/90 -18's and 100/90-18's avon roadrider for my gt250 from motorcycle superstore. They probably don't have the right "look" though for this project...

Funny you should mention. These were at the top of my list because they are functional AND look great. Im probably going to end up with these.

crazypj said:
Stock rims are 1.60" and 1.85" (WM1& WM2)

Thanks! Clearance was just checked and it looks like a 4.00 X 18 will fit the rear and 3.50 X 18 on the front. Thats the max i can deviate from stock which was 3.50 X18 rear, 3.00 X 18 front.

DohcBikes said:
Handling concerns,,,pfft. He will simply transcend physics and evolve the proper way to ride, then we will all be behind the times. Do not underestimate the WildeMan

Nope. On this one Im going to listen to the pros and those who have more experience than I.

WildeJ said:
Funny you should mention. These were at the top of my list because they are functional AND look great. Im probably going to end up with these.

they seem to be a favorite among vintage bike guys. if I remember right they were only like $100 for the pair shipped to my door, then I had them mounted and balanced at my local mc shop. I haven't put them on the road yet to see for myself, but they come highly recommended by people that I trust.

WildeJ said:
Nope. On this one Im going to listen to the pros and those who have more experience than I.
But not before a six page thread going back and forth between listening and not listening, right?

DohcBikes said:
But not before a six page thread going back and forth between them and the firestones, right?

Im happy to report Im a lot more decisive these days when it comes to this particular build. No back and forth threads.

hurco550 said:
they seem to be a favorite among vintage bike guys. if I remember right they were only like $100 for the pair shipped to my door, then I had them mounted and balanced at my local mc shop. I haven't put them on the road yet to see for myself, but they come highly recommended by people that I trust.

I did a lot of research on the Avons once I calmed down and decided to be practical (though a friend with Firestones here in NYC assured me they are great for day to day riding). Id rather be safe than sorry. Dont want to get caught in an all-of-a sudden rainstorm or take sharp turns in Firestones. Nope.

Back
Top Bottom