www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Custom GPZ550 (ZX550A and KZ550H)  (Read 13584 times)

Offline japstar

Custom GPZ550 (ZX550A and KZ550H)
« on: Mar 21, 2016, 17:14:53 »
Hi there,

Some key things about me:
-Belgian fella
-Student engineering, but heart for hand work.
-Started out with restoring old Honda Camino
-Than Honda cb50
-Honda cb two fifty as daily ride, but hoping to change that with this project

This project has been going on for a while now, but only recently decided to start a project page on a decent forum.
I started off with buying two bikes. The ZX550A on the right for the engine (more power and no mechanical advance and better front fork), the KZ550 on the left for the cooler looking rear end and fuel tank.

Next up was stripping the frame of the KZ550 from redundant mounting points and backstructure.

Upon disassembling the front fork of the ZX550, it seemed teh stanchions were shot, so I needed to look for a new front fork. The fork of the KZ550 had an offset for the wheel axle, and i didn't want that.

As for the adjustments on the frame, I bended a hoop to weld on the rear end. I've cut out the sidewalls of the tank and brazed newly fitted knee dents in there. Originally, the tank had a bad shape, causing a discontinu´ty with the seat. That was the first reasing to start grinding away on the fuel tank  :)
I also straightened the frame (where the saddle will be mounted), because the stock frame had a kind of valley in the frame, not ideal for the straight seat I was aiming for.

I wanted a slightly bigger swingarm angele, so i modified the linkage dogbone to make ik longer. I made a I-profile like the stock dogbone, grinded the stock dogbone in two and welded the piece between it.

Accoring to kawasaki, the rear shock wasn't serviveable. But I didn't find that word in my dictionary so i added a valve to service the shocks.

I also found another front fork of a suzuki GS550, for dual disc brake. I also like the older look.

Modified the forks to lower them without the need to raise them in the clamps.
Also brazed on of the two rebound holes shut to get some more rebound control.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 17:20:09 by japstar »
GPZ550 cafe racer http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=69514.0

It ain't about showing up on a bike that the loan officer at your bank, or your parent's inheritance bought for you. It's about skinning your knuckles, straining your back, developing some blisters on your hands, breathing varsol and paint fumes,taking measurements and making mistakes.
It's about standing back, after the dust settles, and being able to say when people ask, "I BUILT it!"

Offline japstar

Re: Custom GPZ550 (ZX550A and KZ550H)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2016, 17:53:59 »
Concerning the electrical stuff:
I made my own hadlebar switch:

Also the self made dashboard with switches and speedometer.

I fitted all the components before making the tray:

And with tray frabricated:

With the start push button at the bottom:

Mounted the rear light (led light with brakelight included)

It ain't about showing up on a bike that the loan officer at your bank, or your parent's inheritance bought for you. It's about skinning your knuckles, straining your back, developing some blisters on your hands, breathing varsol and paint fumes,taking measurements and making mistakes.
It's about standing back, after the dust settles, and being able to say when people ask, "I BUILT it!"

Offline japstar

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2016, 17:55:38 »
Also modified the stock ignition key to my likings:
stock on the right and custom on the left:

With mounting bracket:

Mounted in the dashboard:

And there we go:
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2016, 18:01:39 by japstar »

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2016, 18:00:47 »
Interesting project.  Looks like the rear wheel has a clearance problem? 
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline japstar

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2016, 18:03:40 »
Interesting project.  Looks like the rear wheel has a clearance problem?
At certain angles it may seem that way yes :)
But it has 11- 13 cm left. And I added a higher bump stop to the rearr shock, so wheel travel shouldn't be a problem :)
I haven't had a problem during test riding so far  :P

Offline japstar

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2016, 18:10:43 »
Cleaning the carbs:
Made my own soda blaster to take off the stock paint. (Carbs are made to be raw aluminium in my head  :) )

And they turned out well:

For the brakes: I had to remodel the brake pedal to avoid damaging the exhaust (Marshall deeptone, was on the bike when i bought it)

The brake pistons were all pitted with rust, so i made new ones out of Stainless Steel on the lathe.

Because of the new front frork, the mounting plates for the front brakes had to be adjusted:

And the front was fitted with tailored steel braided lines.

And i bought an old malossi throttle to fit the bike  :D

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2016, 18:15:09 »
Interesting indeed. Keep the updates coming.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline japstar

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2016, 18:21:25 »
Some other stuff that happened and current state of the bike:

Previous owner did a lot of fixing with putty, so some removing and rewelding was needed. At the front (by now chopped) fender, in needed to punch out a lot and make tailored steel blanks to weld into place:

I want my rear end to be adjustable. I want to be able to ride a full seat (bit brat style), or add a cowl, or mount a luggage rack.
So I fitted 4 mounting points in the frame, to fasten the cowl or the luggage rack. (still needed to be welded in the picture)

The current state of the bike, I called her Patsy by now  8)
On the self fabricated paddock stand

On a test ride:
The bike's suspension is how i like it, and it's power is very much fun :) ( I come from a honda cb two fifty with 14 kW) She pulls very smoothly, with a raw sound. And she hits 180 km/h with ease, as i had to stop than because i ran out of road.

The colourscheme I'm aiming for: (based on interstellar's suzuki gs 550)

This sunday, i lowered the back of the fuel tank to follow the line of teh frame more closely. But I haven't got pictures of that.
A lot of pictures will be missing from the process so far, but I've been working on it for over a year by now. (Was very busy till last year). But now that I've put it on this forum, it seems like I did nothing during that time  ;D
Anyway, next updates will probably be about dismantling the whole bike, and starting to prepare it for painting.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2016, 18:45:18 by japstar »

Offline japstar

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2016, 13:58:35 »
Just did a small thing today before going to school. Made some small mounting pieces for the wire harness to the rear light.
Made to weld on the frame and fit a ziptie trough it. Should be clean and out of sight i think  :)
Also decided to get the frame and swingarm powder coated to be a bit more resistant to rust. I will spray the rest with spray cans.
Going to remove cylinder had and cylinder for good cleaning/blasting, that gives me a chance for a quick inspection of the engine top end.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2016, 14:00:31 by japstar »

Offline fatleon

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2016, 14:41:24 »
I'll be following this. I think it's cool that you don't hesitate to modify or make things to be the way you want them. I like your handlebar switches, those came out really good. It looks like you have some cool machinery to work with too.