1975 Honda CB400F- For Sale in Michigan

Re: 1975 Honda CB400F- What's it worth?

Right on
I still have mine from my high school days. It's gone through many transitions through the years. I plan on giving it to my son when he's old enough to respect it.
Until then I've got a few in boxes that we can assemble together and he can beat the crap out of

Tune-A-Fish said:
I teach middle school. This is exactly the response I would get from a pre-pubescent punk. Let me know when your voice changes.

deviant said:
I teach middle school. This is exactly the response I would get from a pre-pubescent punk. Let me know when your voice changes.

Well... those the can... do ::)

I've had enough.
It's a shame that we can't have a forum where we all share the love and knowledge of bikes without threads getting highjacked for whatever reason.
You'll notice I don't chime in often, mainly because of this kind of BS.
I hope you guys figure out a way to take your BS somewhere else so the rest of us can enjoy this great forum again.
Peace Out!

Tune-A-Fish said:

You know what? Never mind. I've seen how nice and reasonable you can be when you want. And that's great. It really is. But you just can't resist stirring the pot. So stir away, but it won't be at my house. The OP decided against cutting a bike up and you respond by invoking the name of a recently banned member who was universally loathed and made a circus of the forum. Nobody wants that. And I won't welcome it in my home either.

Jelder, I don't think you will regret going that direction at all. There's a lot of good ppl here that have restored and modified those bikes. My wife has one that's getting much the same. Mostly resto, just a few small changes to personalize it. Good luck!

Meh... it was a joke... I won't loose any sleep E. Eric swung hard and missed... I still hit back when a shot is taken even if you miss.

To the OP... grow a pair dude, Nobody even came close to your feelers :-*

Jelder said:
***Quick Update***
I pulled the tank off last night to look over everything as much as I could. I wanted to do a compression test but turned out I don't have the appropriate sized socket to remove the plugs.

So here's what I found so far:
- The tank had gas in it which is my fault because I'm the one who used to ride it and parked it in the barn after college where the poor thing sat for 23 years. I emptied it but it looks like bad news in there. Lots of rust, but on the other hand no holes or weak spots as far as I can tell. Unfortunately there's a crease in it from when it fell over in the back of a pickup truck years ago.
- Mileage is 20,200
- Manufacture date was 2/75.
- It appears that there is no deep rust anyplace on it. Even the exhaust looks really good from the headers all the way through the muffler. There's a little corrosion in the battery tray, but not bad and does not appear to have leaked through onto anything underneath. Frame, swingarm, shocks, forks, fenders, hell even the chain guard, all have a little surface rust here and there but seem to be solid.
- The motor kicks over freely, but it has a head gasket leak that was actually always there as far as I remember
- Aside from replacement mirrors, it's 100% complete and stock. Seems I've had a classic barn find at my childhood home!

So I think I've made a decision. The bike is in way too good of shape (assuming that the motor isn't a major issue) and also has too much sentimental value to either sell it or chop it up and turn it into some kind of cafe/brat/whatever. I'm going to tear it down and clean, repair, replace where necessary, and put it back together again as-is with maybe a couple little mods, and then ride the hell out of it.

Thanks again for all the feedback and opinions and advice. I feel really good now about resurrecting it and getting it back on the street ASAP.

Great decision OP. Enjoy. I do agree with what someone said earlier about replacing the muffler with a supertrap. That with everything else restored would be awesome.

Good choice, OP.

As much as I love a nice custom built bike. That thing looked to be in pretty decent shape. I have a sweet spot for stock 400F's anyways.

Post up a build thread of your resto.

I agree, awesome little bike. And while I'm a "it's your bike, do whatever you want to it" kinda guy, I'm also glad to hear the plan you've chosen. That's the way I would have went.
Just for reference, this is my bro's '77 400F.
(with '75 bars and pegs)
IMG_8167_zpst2bkzywe.jpg

He picked it up last year with major title issues. It was filthy, but all original (save for the tires and battery). He paid just over $3k for it.
He recently turned down an offer for $5k. As others have said, the 400F's have a cult following, and are just a bit more desirable than other Hondas of the era.

hillsy said:
I agree - for all we know it, it might end up like a J Wilde bike..... ::)

Sorry guys - I was the one who mentioned Voldemort in the first place......

Glad to see it's not going to end up being cut up though ;)

hillsy said:
Sorry guys - I was the one who mentioned Voldemort in the first place......

Glad to see it's not going to end up being cut up though ;)

Ha!

Your direction is correct by the way.

just leave this here

bikes while a DTT member

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65616.0

index.php

index.php

I don't chop em all either :eek:

Attachments

• 1980 Maico.jpg
    1980 Maico.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20140705_162127729.jpg
    IMG_20140705_162127729.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 260

2/13/18 Update...two years later this bike is still in the same place in my garage. Priorities changed and I never touched it. Now I'm thinking of buying a Caterham 7, or maybe a Cobra replica.
Anyway, think I'm going to sell it. See my previous post for some details, but it's basically a complete, 100% stock (except for mirrors), and unmolested 400 four that has spent more than half it's life in either my parent's barn or my garage in Michigan. In fact, I think the license plate registration in Illinois was last valid in 1992!
I'll try to get it cleaned up and some pics taken in the next week or two.
Oh yeah- and I found the title.

Re: *2018 UPDATE* 1975 Honda CB400F- What's it worth?

Talk about reviving an old thread! Lol, I just quickly read through it. Good luck with the bike, excellent that you found the title too.

Bike is now listed for sale on Craigslist in Grand Rapids, Michigan for anyone who may be interested.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/6530314984.html

Thanks!
Jay

Additional pics added to the Craglist ad. I also wiped it down a bit...looks pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom