82 Honda CB900C chop/racer

djmaynard

Been Around the Block
After asking so many times on this forum, figured I better just suck it up and start my own thread on my 82 Honda CB900C. I picked this up February 2016 with 39000 miles on it. Wife said I could get a bike if I found one for $500. The previous owner worked as a mechanic in a Harley shop, so there is some Harley aftermarket stuff already. The said he took it as a trade 3 years ago and no one had interest on it as it had a front fairing WindJammer on it and it was maroon. He attempted to paint it black which I will work on later. The red is rubbing off now.

Well that was easy... Now the aftermarket stuff.

cfda7288690e9a86d5ebcacb3a57704d.jpg

82 Honda CB900C is my first attempt of a bike upgrade

Today I'm working on my front fender. To chop, (which it doesn't look too bad without either) or replace with a 92 nighthawk front fender.

f8ddc0cba70bc3d7c82c47cc2974993d.jpg

0e6d05ef734b685c476f24b367e94f0a.jpg

Going to try without the fender for now. Next thing, what the f¥@k is this?

abdddcaa71bbe98f8f2e4681c0b12e27.jpg

Am I missing a plug? Noticed it after trying to clean up around the oil return lines.

It looks like where the tachometer cable goes in ....cable is gone and someone gooped up the retaining nut hole with red RTV....awesome!....anyways you buy a tail light yet?....might wanna hold off and make sure your not leaking oil out that hole

if you are going to make a bunch odf changes let me know

i could use the seat and rear fender/tail light for one i am restoring

Ah that looks like where the upper cam chain tensioner should be....

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

DesmoBro said:
It looks like where the tachometer cable goes in ....cable is gone and someone gooped up the retaining nut hole with red RTV....awesome!....anyways you buy a tail light yet?....might wanna hold off and make sure your not leaking oil out that hole

I got a tail light... But my tachometer works, wonder what they had it hooked up to? Crap.

cxman said:
if you are going to make a bunch odf changes let me know

i could use the seat and rear fender/tail light for one i am restoring

I might keep the fender but the tail light and turns I wouldn't use.

According to this diagram...looks like the stop bolt that holds the tensioner plunger in place, and the hole on the very front is a rubber plug (21)

Attachments

• Screenshot (27).png
    Screenshot (27).png
    80 KB · Views: 1,285
I hope it's just supposed to be a rubber plug. Dang. Bought it from an old Harley mechanic. Didn't notice it until I was playing with the fender

You can put bags on on whatever you want. Here is my Bonneville café style with my homemade racks and saddlebags.
eb4162b1b592dab8158bf0d2bf833f03.jpg

Psy

Psycrow said:
You can put bags on on whatever you want. Here is my Bonneville café style with my homemade racks and saddlebags.
eb4162b1b592dab8158bf0d2bf833f03.jpg

Psy

That looks sharp. I just was going to ask instead of wearing my backpack every where I go. Just need something to carry coffee and food for the day. Perfect, thanks Psycrow!

DesmoBro said:
If its this you should be more worried^^^^^^

Today I had noticed that there was a bit of oil from the hole, but the red stuff I think is loctite. And it is camshaft front chain tensioner locknut and bolt should be. (According to Clymer's). Any suggestions where to grab that from? I did a Google search but couldn't find them.

Go to any Honda dealer's website's OEM parts finder and look up that particular parts fiche. You'll see the same diagram that I posted earlier, and below it should be the part numbers for everything on the diagram. Plug the numbers into eBay and you should be able to find something. I use a local dealer's website, bettencourts.com

The parts fiche should tell you the size and pitch of that bolt, so you should be able to find one at an ACE or fastenal thats close and make it work.

So I finally got all the replacement parts for the cam chain tensioner... Well I thought so, I pulled off the loctite and found a damn screw soldered in where the screw is supposed to be.

Whoa, so after digging that out, I pulled of the plate so I could find top dead center, no problem. Now I can get the opening large enough to get my new proper screw in, no matter how many times I turn it.

Help?

Back
Top Bottom