CJ360 (CB360) Rebuild, electric starter, 6 speed

ManuR said:
But when the left cylinder was nearing top dead center it shure was harder to rotate (still smooth though). The right cilinder does not have this behavior.

If you got both spark plugs out, and your spinning it correctly CCW. Never Clockwise.
Your probably just feeling the magnets on the rotor messing w ya. ;)

also, did you fit the little locking pin on the back of the advancer to trap it on the cam?

And, if you disassembled the advancer, make sure you get the cam lobe in the correct orientation to OPEN points just before TDC on compression stroke.

If you installed the lobe 180 out it wont take you long to figure out somethings amiss.

Be sure to lube up the tach seal NOW. Otherwise, the dry startup friction will burn the sealing edge off. You will have it leaking oil down the front of the engine until its replaced, again.

So here is a little update:
- the engine is completely assembled
- mounted in the frame
- fires right up

Although she is still only running on one cylinder. First only right, and after a couple of minutes only left. This would be a logical timing issue. But it appears that everything is correct and well lubricated there.

Here is q picture of the engine in the frame
dd7c7597c53e72acaa5bfdd37fcb2e5d.jpg

9ee9392b2a58ee0c7a532978b4ddd99a.jpg

Has anybody ever seen this style of petcock? I have not found one on the internet with this little reservoir.

a36c356fd7f0c9ec171c2cb0b4965da1.jpg

That's actually pretty slick, its a sediment bowl, must have been in an area that had crappy fuel. Those style of fuel filters have been around forever and rely on gravity and time to filter out stuff.

First time I've seen one as well.

maybe i could search for a litle in line fuel filter, and try to adapt it to fit in this bowl, because i can't imagine it working that great with gravity alone :p.

Petcocks have filters in them, what that bowl does is give the fuel more time to settle contaminants before it heads out.

Same thing as this pretty much, been on many older style tractors and older vehicles.

If you are sure the timing is spot on then sync the carbs with a manometer, that should solve your running on 1 cylinder problem.

That's a neat filter bowl, never seen the add on piece before.
The stock tap has a small filter bowl, there is also a mesh screen 'inside' the tap held in with 'O' ring

Back
Top Bottom