Cafe Racer bike choice questions

cdirk

I am new to this forum. I joined as I have been wanting to do a café racer build for years. I finally think I am ready to start something in the next few months. My question is which bike to use for the build. I am 6'2" 228 lbs have been riding Harleys for about 16 years. I did have a Honda shadow and a Suzuki Volusia before that. So this its been a while since I rode a Japanese motorcycle. The thing I keep wrestling with is whether or not to purchase a more modern bike (something from last 25 years or so) or go with something from the 70's.

The choices I have been considering are as follows: (Looking for something with some power to it, just don't want it to be too slow and good for 30 minute highway rides so must get up to 70 - 75)

Modern bikes Yamaha SR400, SR500, Suzuki Savage 650/SV40, Kawasaki W650. I would consider a 250CC bike to keep costs down but I don't want the bike to struggle hauling me at 70 MPH.

Older bikes CB350, 450, 500, 550, 650, 750. Yamaha GS650, 750, Kawasaki 400 - 750's.

Cost wise I want to be less than $3k to purchase the bike. I like the idea of a smaller bike. I did see a Kawasaki SSR 305, and 440 LTD for sale. Looked like a good platform. Again not sure if these would be too slow for me. I have read that the CB's are good at higher RPM's and all can go up to 70 MPH no problem.

Also considering doing a savage 650 with Ryca parts/kit, but that gas tank price of $799 unpainted is a lot to swallow. Not sure of the Savage 650 power either being a single cylinder. But Ryca Kits look really nice.

At least with CB's I could keep the tank. Seem easy to make into a café racer, but old bikes would require more work.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Got a few months to think about it. Will try to pickup a bike over the winter on the cheap.

how about doing a Harley Cafe??
I have seen some really nice ones out there

You're going to have a lot of work cut out for you making pretty much any bike into a nicely done cafe..IMO grab something that runs and looks like crap for cheap money, since youre going to be hacking it up anyways it doesn't make sense to buy an expensive bike to start with. Most smaller bikes arent gonna be comfortable on the highway at 70 for a long period of time, you will probably want something 650cc and up.

Most riding will be back-roads. Highway only to work. 15 - 20 minutes tops. Thinking I need a CB450, or cb550 at the very least for the highway and due to my size. But will look for a bigger bike if I can find one running for the right price.

The Suzuki SV40 with Ryca parts is intriguing. Love the look.

As far as Harley café racer want to keep the cost down, and I have been riding Harleys for 20 years. Looking for something different in the stable.

You really canthink go wrong with a cb750 for a first build. Cheap, plentiful, good power and comfortable. Just stay away from running pods-style air filters on the stock carbs and they're simple to tune and a blast to ride

I'm the same size you are. I have multiple rides but I have a KZ750 and also a Yamaha bolt cruiser so I'm kind of seeing where you come from and also where you want to be. If you're looking for highway I wouldn't go less than a 750. My KZ is 180 degrees from my Bolt and that's the beauty of it. The KZ really comes alive after 5,000 rpm.

I'm at least your size and yeah, hauling 70ish for any length of time? You'll really wish you had at least the 550 but I'd say 650 if you don't want to go big.

I commute on a fully loaded 550 and it has no issue cruising at 75-80. Screaming, yes, but no issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cdirk said:
Most riding will be back-roads. Highway only to work. 15 - 20 minutes tops. Thinking I need a CB450, or cb550 at the very least for the highway and due to my size. But will look for a bigger bike if I can find one running for the right price.

My '75 CB750 would easily do 90 on highway, then I picked up a CB550 and it seemed like it was screaming at 65mph. I'd definitely go for 750cc for any daily highway driving if given the choice.

Also... my '75 400F would easily do highway speeds with it's 6spd transmission. My CB450t was a great bike for backroads and around town but not for highway.

If you can find a '75-'77 CB400F it might be a bit small for your size, but best all-around bike I've had but hard to find... only imported to US for three years.

Just buy mine and make it your own, fresh build no owner. clean title.

103383-160816135552-22461068.jpeg

MitchellSK said:
My '75 CB750 would easily do 90 on highway, then I picked up a CB550 and it seemed like it was screaming at 65mph. I'd definitely go for 750cc for any daily highway driving if given the choice.

Agreed. I should have added that I've done 110 on my KZ and it still had some left in her. Not that you'll necessarily go that fast but it means the 750 has the guts to get you to freeway speeds quicker and run easier/cooler doing it than some smaller bikes. I've taken my XR250 on the highway and it's screaming going 65 lol

Over the weekend I decided to look at doing a sportster café racer build. I am still thinking about the other bikes Honda CB's mostly. But given my history with sportsters, working on the engines, electrical etc. seems like a good option since I know the bikes well. Even an 883cc sporty has plenty of power with a good 2-1 pipe, tuner, and A/C. Easy to work on and easy to make into a café racer. Cut fender struts put café racer seat on, 15" shocks, hook up light under the seat, put clip ons or clubman bars, cowling over headlight and your half way there if you already have mid controls.

Also, lots of them for sale, can get one for $1500 - $2000.

Where are you located? I have a really clean, great running '77 Suzuki GS750 I'll give you a killer deal on.

Back
Top Bottom