My first build - 75 Honda CL360 Scrambler

djsmiles

Been Around the Block
Hello everyone, my name is Miles Starkey, I live in Des Moines, IA and this is my first ever bike project. I had a 81? Kawasaki 440 LTD when I was 15 that I bought for $20 and got it running, wrecked it and sold it for $50 but this is going to be way better than that. I plan on keeping it for the rest of my life as it shares my birth year so that's pretty cool. I picked it up a couple months ago for $400 and I heard it try to start before I bought it. The petcock was leaking really bad so the guy didn't want to put much gas in it. Anyway, I've read through a few threads on here where guys have documented their build and I'm going to do the same. Partly for my own sake but also so others who are in my shoes may benefit from my mistakes and hopefully my successes as well. This is what it looked like then.

Attachments

• IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    590.3 KB · Views: 554
To post again am I supposed to hit reply or am I missing a button? anyway, this is how it looks after just two days of tear down. I'm not sure how to get the engine out, I have all the bolts out and it is loose, I think I'll try taking some parts off of the top of the motor. Just seems like there isn't much wiggle room.

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 516
And check out what is inside where the chain goes, it looks like seeds of some kind. strange.

Attachments

• IMG_0572.JPG
    IMG_0572.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 512
Seeds could be from some mice that took up residence for a while. Better check out all the wires to ensure they never decided to have a chew on them as well.

Thanks Perry, I already have the wiring harness removed and it looks fine, although I plan on trying to reduce the amount of wires on this bike. I marked them with tape to help keep them straight, although the ones going through the handlebars are going to be difficult to figure out because I'm going to have to cut off the ends to get them out. I'll figure that out when I go to put it back together. Right now I just have the handlebars with the wires sitting on the shelf.

That's good to hear. I was able to get the wires out of the handlebars without cutting by taking apart the controls themselves so that the wires can fit through the hole in the bar. Still wasn't easy and you have to be very careful but its doable.

Hey, good luck on your build! I'm working on what WAS a '75 CL360; there are a bunch of us here w/ lots of good info for ya, don't hesitate to ask. The easiest way to get the engine out of the frame is this. Put a couple of the mounting bolts back in place, put something padded like an old blanket or even several sheets of cardboard on the floor. With the help of a friend if possible, slowly lay the bike down onto it's RIGHT side. Take out the mounting bolts and then lift the frame off the engine. That's pretty much how you put it back together as well.

In order to work on the engine do I need the original manual or would a haynes be ok? Follow up question, what is the real cost savings of doing it yourself vs having a shop do it for you? Figuring in your time and possible mistakes. Talking about a complete rebuild/gone through, new gaskets, etc.

djsmiles said:
In order to work on the engine do I need the original manual or would a haynes be ok? Follow up question, what is the real cost savings of doing it yourself vs having a shop do it for you? Figuring in your time and possible mistakes. Talking about a complete rebuild/gone through, new gaskets, etc.

Haynes or one of the others is better than nothing. The original shop manuals are best. Somebody on here can probably tell you where to get one on line and how to download it. As for your question about cost savings, I don't think that can even be discussed; paying someone would be huge expensive. Unless you know there are issues down in the bottom end I wouldn't split the cases. Top end gaskets, maybe piston rings, maybe timing chain slippers, carb rebuild. Look up member CrazyPJ. If he doesn't know something about the 360 it isn't worth knowing. Also he does a wonderful job rebuilding/modifying the 360 carbs; well worth paying for.

Thanks ridesolo. I'll try lying the bike on its side to get the motor out. great suggestion. I found this site where one can download manuals. http://www.common-motor.com/manuals. I really appreciate the info on the engine, too. I wasn't sure how far to tear it down.

djsmiles said:
Thanks ridesolo. I'll try lying the bike on its side to get the motor out. great suggestion. I found this site where one can download manuals. http://www.common-motor.com/manuals. I really appreciate the info on the engine, too. I wasn't sure how far to tear it down.

I found that I can lift the entire motor in and out of the 360 by myself from the right side with the bike on it's side stand. ( I think the service manual illustrates it that way too.) It's just manageable for me. And I'm not a big dude.

3DogNate said:
I found that I can lift the entire motor in and out of the 360 by myself from the right side with the bike on it's side stand. ( I think the service manual illustrates it that way too.) It's just manageable for me. And I'm not a big dude.

Hear ya on that one, but my 60 year old back doesn't want to pick that lump up and would let me know it's displeasure if I tried. :D

ridesolo said:
Hear ya on that one, but my 60 year old back doesn't want to pick that lump up and would let me know it's displeasure if I tried. :D

Ha... on it's side it goes.

(that's how I had to do my XS650.)

So I laid the bike on its right side but still can't get the motor out from the mounting tabs. I removed the cover on the top of the motor to give it a little more wiggle room. I tried taking the starter off but those screws are not budging and found on this site that I needed to order special JIS screwdrivers so those are on the way. It just seems like there isn't enough room to get motor out away from the mounting tabs for clearance.

djsmiles said:
So I laid the bike on its right side but still can't get the motor out from the mounting tabs. I removed the cover on the top of the motor to give it a little more wiggle room. I tried taking the starter off but those screws are not budging and found on this site that I needed to order special JIS screwdrivers so those are on the way. It just seems like there isn't enough room to get motor out away from the mounting tabs for clearance.

Got a picture or two? That might help. At the bottom of the engine on the right hand side there is a mount that bolts to the engine and that mount itself bolts to the frame. This mount has to come off before taking out the engine. Look at the bottom of the frame and if that bolt is still there it'll have to be removed. At the back of the engine, below the carbs, is another set of mounts and the one on the right side also needs to be unbolted from the frame. Hopefully getting these apart will take care of it for you.

This seems like a really good deal on a brand new gas tank. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331675971228?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Has anyone else bought this tank before? opinions? would this look good on my CL360? or would it be too small?
I'm afraid of my tank, it has a flaking white coating on the inside and I've read about different ways to get it out, just not sure it's worth it.

Hey ridesolo it looks like you and i were responding to my engine question at the same time, i found that motor bracket just before you replied but thanks for keeping up with my posts and questions, i really appreciate this community

djsmiles said:
Hey ridesolo it looks like you and i were responding to my engine question at the same time, i found that motor bracket just before you replied but thanks for keeping up with my posts and questions, i really appreciate this community

Ha ha. No problem. Keep on keepin' on, everybody here stared out at the beginning. Lots of good info here.

Back
Top Bottom