CL350 problems

janelu

Hi Everyone,

Been working on my 1972 CL 350 again and running into a few issues. My biggest problem is that it dies whenever i give it gas. Sometimes it will work thought and if i'm able to get it going, it's fine until the next red light. Also I've noticed that if i run it for any period of time, it overheats to the point the gas boils. I've gone through the carbs and valves for troubleshoot and now stuck on timing. My ignition is electronic, unlike the one in the manual so that doesn't help. I've also noticed that there's a light oil leak inside the points housing. Any advice on how to move forward? Could this be why the bike stalls when I give it gas/over heats?

Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2860.JPG
    IMG_2860.JPG
    921.7 KB · Views: 181
a little bit of oil wont harm but you need to replace the seal sooner than later, its easy
as far as the timing with the pamco you only check and set if needed no. 1 cylinder with a timing light
you are going to be setting the full advance position
no 2 verify that it is close to the same
but first grab that rotor and make sure it moves freely and snaps back,if it has loads of slop that is an issue in itself
dont get stuck on trying to set timing at any other rpm except full advance 2500 or so + rpm's
it doesn't matter a darn bit if the timing at idle is slightly off spec as long as the bike runs well, because you cant change it anyway,with the pamco
if that is an early pamco the legs that engage the advancer will be on the way to worn out if not already

Lean fuel air mixture runs hot.

check Carb

Poor oil flow runs hot.

check filter and pump

TheCoffeeGuy said:
Check cam chain tension first before setting timing.
yes keep chain tensioned while a loose chain can cause an eratic image in the timing light it doesnt effect actual timing

Back
Top Bottom