modified 72 cb500 needs rejet

southernbelle

So I recently bought a 72 cb500 four that has drag pipes and the uni filter pods installed. The bike currently turns on, but gets bogged down when you give it gas and the last guy didn't rejet. This is all new to me and I was wondering if anyone was running something similar who could tell me what size jets they run or possibly have any input on what I should put in there. Any help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

right now she's running waaaay lean. The same thing had been done to my bike by the PO's dad and bro - pod filters without a rejet to suit. The asshole brother of the seller of my bike stuffed some foam rubber in the pod filters, which got sucked into the carbs when I was on the way to the rolling road tuner.

The other problem is that not all filters are the same, nor are all exhausts. As well as this, some carbs have divisions in the inlet for pilot, which can be obscured by cheap pod filters. It's worth checking (and there's a great thread on this forum about the evils of pod filters, which goes into this). What works for one bike probably won't be the right setup for yours. Might well be time to buy a jet kit with a selection of sizes.

Sorry to be so negative, but I've just been there myself.

Until you can get the jetting issue sorted, try restricting the inlets - covering about 80% of the inlet area of the pods will probably give a significant improvement in the running. Duct tape solves many problems. As well as up-jetting on mine, we still restricted the inlets by covering about 90% of the filter surface area. I'm up a few bhp on standard, and the bike revs cleanly and is tractable.

I'm running main 115's and 40 pilots and slide needle one clip more rich. It's the wife's bike and it's got over 1500 miles on it like that. (1971 cb500) I'd say it runs a tad rich actually. Using UNI foam filters with oil on them. Can buy as a set fairly cheap and worked wonders better than the K&N knockoffs and better than the original K&N in my opinion.
http://4into1.com/uni-foam-pod-filter-set-honda-cb500-cb550-cb750/

Back
Top Bottom