kZ1000 ""csr / j model" Big Bore

jessemetsos

hey guys , my kz1000 csr is in pieces right now and I while I'm there why not go big bore 1075 , I mean why not..?

I saw on dynoman performance website some great engine package

Wiseco or JE 1075cc Piston Kit
(your choice of kit) Both piston kits 10.25:1, American-made in Ohio, forged aluminum
Cometic CFM-20 Head Gasket
Made in the USA, great for street and strip
WebCam #110 Billet Camshaft set
Made in the USA, performance street cams with stock base circle
DP Racing Valve Springs
Made in the USA from finest quality chrome-silicone wire

all for like 1k$ us!!

really good price , but the trick here when I asked some people overthere by email if that could fit on my engine they said they could do one for my engine since that package was not for mine exactly... But the catch is here...

The nice man on the other side of the computer said , (really he answer all my question like 10 emails back and forward )

: If you are still running the stock CV carbs they will not work with a modified motor, as they are emissions carbs that are not designed for what you are building.

Right that makes senses really.... but DAMN a carburetor for my bike (keihin cr33) is like 1000$ so he told me , in that case, forget the cam and the spring and just go for the carb + the filter + the pull-push throttle + 1075 cc piston... but with all the shipping and the exchange rated ( canada to us) it goes to like 1715 ish US + shipping I ge to like 2K .. damn... I mean

someone here run bigbore kz1000 J model with stock cv carb? , I run my engine stock with pods and I dont had any trouble with it...

I want more power out of my little kz1000.... I got 4-1 exhaust , pods , 530 chain , dyna s2000

You can run the stock Mikuni BS34 carbs, jetted and tuned of course.
You just won't have the top end. I had an 1105 kit in a '79 KZ1000st with the stock VM28 carbs.

Running stock carbs is absolutely no problem. It just kills some of the power. I ran them with dual pods on mine and approx 135-140 mains, but stock pilots.

That said, if you install Wisecos for the "A" (round valve cover, kickstart) engine, into a "J" (square cover), you'll have the compression go through the roof. Get the correct pistons for a J engine or simply go for a set of GPZ1100 barrels (not Unitrack, but 81 to 83) and use them, then you go straight to 1089, but with less compression. Save up for some proper flatties (I always preferred the RS34 over the CR33s and the bigger RS36s) and instead of an expensive cam, get a genuine UniTrack-cam as that's a bit hotter and can be picked up cheap as chips. Go with new bronze valve guides and proper viton shaft seals and some slightly stiffer APE valve springs, because otherwise once you miss a shift, one of the valves may kiss the piston. (At around 10.5k - guess how I know...) This way you can do the whole shebang (except for the carbs) for around 300 to 500 USD.

And just what Rex said, you can make the older VM26/28 carbs work fine on the later engine or you get some GSXR-750 carbs (the very early ones were genuine flatslides, which you can then bore to almost 33mm.) Or have a look at snowmobile carbs, if you're not afraid of doing some jetting work.

Here's some old pictures of how I bored out the carbs for my old Z1000J:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.com/2016/02/carb-boring-101.html

I think so, but really only the barrels. The whole GPZ1100-cylinder assembly is different (most notably a hyvo-camchain instead of the conventional one on the "A").

If worst comes to worst, you'll have to have a machine shop bore out the case mouths to make the bigger liners fit.

Cheers,
Greg

Re: kZ1000 ""csr / j model" Big Bore

Unitrak and 1100B cylinders are the same but pistons are different, the Uni has 18mm small ends and high compression pistons.
Exhaust and Inlets cams on Uni engines are identical, the timing is altered by using the correct holes on the cam sprockets.
Uni head is very different to J head

Back
Top Bottom