Retro Endurance Race Build

valvolux

i'm quite partial to the new wave of custom bikes, that is 80/90's Retro Endurance

6020c587fb26efa7eca8c823bda61943.jpg

so i'm going to attempt to turn my 94 ZXR 750 into one

ICON1000 did something similar

b2.jpg

which is my inspiration, despite not liking the paint scheme on this bike whatsoever

so here is my bike

CCM5s14.jpg

ill post as things happen

cheers

That Honda, I wouldn't own it, only because I can't fold my body like that anymore, but that is an amazing looking bike.

The new stuff

new sprockets and chain
new pipe and emission blanking plates
new ZX7 mono shock. I couldn't afford a new after market, there like $1500 bucks!
new indicators
new mirrors and fender eliminator
new cnc sprocket nuts
new fairing bolts
new tank protector
new decals
replace the linkage rod to lower the bike and lower side stand

RWRY5cp.jpg

hO4Uqo2.jpg

EMbEzhT.jpg

l94Je15.jpg

QEV1N2g.jpg

hHl6Xfn.jpg

0nKorMr.jpg

wi2kCvd.jpg

mawZ16E.jpg

qJZKFxp.jpg

xsPWe34.jpg

UUNrCfP.jpg

RWRY5cp.jpg

a1w267s.jpg

went and said ello to the nice Murray West at MWR

He sold me some braided brake and clutch lines in Kawasaki green

lJexJVYh.jpg

And a shark fin for some racing street cred at half the price of those on the net

cag4AuRh.jpg

C9sFdSuh.jpg

Dropped my fairings off for painting next

So thats where im at. Most parts ordered. Just have to get the painting done, then put it all back together again

while waiting for the painting to be done, i've been thinking about the lighting, dash and battery cradle

To get the "endurance look" i've bought 2 extra LED lights that are mounted on the front, similar to this from ICON

Kawasaki-ZX-7-by-Icon-1000-2.jpg

So i have removed the OEM lights to reveal the mounts where a retrofitted mount will need to go

HiiTtha.jpg

Its a bit hard to design this without the fairing back on fitted, so ill put that one on the back burner but i have bought the replacement 5 3/4" lamps with LED Halo lights
But it needs to mount the new LED headlamps plus the 2 aux light and a mount for the go-pro.

The instrument cluster is in need of a revamp cos its so 1990's. With the extra lights i need a sleeker setout and more "race feel".
So ive CADded up two mounts:
One that uses the mounts for the ignition barrel mount to hold a new ignition switch and light switches plus the mounting holes for a new dan-moto digital cockpit and killswitch etc
And the second off the old speedo/tach mount a new mount for the RaceChrono Lap Timer and the Qstarz BT-Q818XT Bluetooth GPS Receiver plus a mount for a smartphone which will use the RaceChrono app

6f3f4ab1f98d9fb6302e61cdb8586100.image.550x550.jpg

w

this is a roughy attempt - like 10min of drafting

RNVUDuN.jpg

Who know if it will end up looking like that WIP

The other thing is the rear shock, cos i have bought an ZX9 shock it has a reservoir which will hit the battery box, i need to cut it off and build a new one

p0KVJN9.jpg

nFYCZmh.jpg

CCBVwB1.jpg

mounted off the rear shock mount (design shamelessly stolen from another forum - Cheers Ninjafromoz)

Now i have to research a lithium battery to power all of this!

Cheers

val

not much going on

received the rear hugger, so thats off to potato to get painted

PcelODDh.jpg

Ive order some EBC clutch springs and some thinner 2mm clutch plates so I can achieve some better clutch control
Cheers for those who gave input about the quickshifter. Im not sure i can afford it, we'll see. That healtech quickshifter looks awesome but i want to talk to few people befor i make such a big investment
I know its wank and probably not a great move to scrap the the clutch cover, but always wanted an exposed clutch, so i might talk to Murray West about if its possible to make a new plate and a suber dry clutch that looks like this

14691d1223521315-wsbk-zx7rr-restoration-pict0129small.jpg

Why is it only ducati riders can have that cool dry clutch rattle. I want it on mine god damn it haha

Im scrapping the OEM Killswitch, ignition and throttle housing because to be honest, the thottle on my bike was rubbish, it had far too much play and i had keep adjusting it.
So ive bought a Motion Pro Throttle, the kill switch and ignition will be replaced as i mentioned earlier by the "missile switch" assembly. I know its a bit unnecessary but i like the healtech GIPro DS bar mount gear indicator, so that will go on the clips ons where the space the thottle assembly used to go.

GPM_06.jpg

BTW, I have a motion pro on my cafe racer and its great.

The front suspension needs an overhaul cos no ones looked at it for 24 years, so we see what needs doing. Perhaps some racetech gold cartridges and new fork oil may be the go but we'll see. I want to get them painted again cos they are a tired light gold colour. Got some pre load adjuster, just cos they look cool

s-l1600.jpg

Had a revised colour scheme. Asked a alot of people what they think and they all go "yeah i like it but i dont like the green" and i go "but kwakas are green"
Either way this a custom endurance and not a race replica so perhaps i shouldnt get too hung up on being traditional

So ive had a revised paint scheme. It looks a bit like a 1st generation YZF-R1 but who cares

DX8isHk.jpg

Thoughts? I might have touches of green here and there as a nod to kawasaki

Back
Top Bottom