www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: XV920R - Fat and Low  (Read 5879 times)

Offline MORK

• Back at er
XV920R - Fat and Low
« on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:07:00 »
Well, finally enough progress has been made that I'm not wasting space on a "look what I plan to do" thread.

Bike backstory - PO bought the bike, slapped on a Hageman subframe and a seat, clipons, a gutted fart can with a Harley tip, and a $20 piece of crap eBay light.

Here she be on the way home from Wyoming to Colorado:

Luckily, I also got most of the original parts, so I unbolted the back half, and put the stock seat, subframe and fender back on to get a feel for the bike.

It rode ok, the clipons bashed the tank, and the pipe was the most obnoxious sound I've heard in a long time. I don't think it was rejetted either so it ran less then ideal.

So now for the real work to begin...
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2017, 19:22:25 by MORK »

Offline MORK

• Back at er
XV920R (insert clever bike name here)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:08:52 »
Another view of the bike in stock-ish form:

She rides ok, the seat is ugly, comfy, and heeeeeeaaaaavvvvvvyyyyyy. This whole bike is a pig. The rear brake has a wobble as well, but that will be a non-issue soon enough.

And the booger welds:

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2017, 12:17:07 by MORK »

Offline MORK

• Back at er
Re: XV920R (insert clever bike name here)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:18:59 »
Another view of the boogers and top rate engineering put into stacking washers to bolt on the cafe seat:

I'm just happy nothing more was hacked up.

Offline MORK

• Back at er
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:23:17 »
So I know it's been done before, and it's not super original, but the Mojave tank just has the perfect lines for this bike in my opinion. I like the KZ650 tank with that ridge as well, but I'm giving the Benelli a try.

It's one of the India copies, hardly any rust inside, a few wobbles to smooth out, but overall, it should look good after plenty of smoothing and welding here and there.

Offline MORK

• Back at er
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:27:41 »
At this point I got the new Lossa Engineering pipe in. It's a great pipe I must say. I was considering the cone quieter core, but this one is a few inches shorter for a quiet baffled muffler, and the quality is wonderful. When the subframe and rearsets are finished, I have been thinking of kicking up the 2-1 pipe a hair.

It also has a nice etched LE that I like.

Offline MORK

• Back at er
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:32:20 »
I discovered that the subframe the PO hacked some mounts on was an early Hageman piece, and I think I might end up using it. Maybe as a nod to made these pigs popular, or just to make things easier. I'm not thrilled about the drilled plates, but when painted black, it might hide the battery nicely and could be unique. If I don't like it, I'll just weld up a tube support.

But for now, I welded up a kicked up frame hoop and ran and ground some beads along the subframe tray spot welds.

It's starting to look like something:

Offline MORK

• Back at er
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:37:39 »
The start of the really fun parts arrived:

2005 R6 complete front end. The stem from Cognito Moto is already coming at this point.

I have a CB750 nighthawk rear wheel, brake and cush drive to put on as well. From what I can put together, I will be converting to a 530 chain with an XS650 front sprocket and spacer and I forget the Honda rear sprockets to match. Should look good with a 160 rear and not be too wide to rub or bubble out the tire.

Offline MORK

• Back at er
XV920R (insert clever bike name here)
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:49:10 »
And this should catch us up to the current state of the build. R6 forks on with new tapered bearings - good lord this thing is low now. I have been checking to see if the 2005 R6 has vastly shorter forks compared to all the GSXR swaps out there, but they seem to be within 5mm of each other, so I think it's just going to be a curb scraper.

I'm considering a skid plate for the exhaust even. Could look cool to make a mini front cowl skid plate. Hmm...

I'm also reminded how small R6's are, and consequently, how small this is going to feel to me. (Not a small bloke at 6'2" 200lbs) The cockpit feels nice though.

This also solidified using the Mojave tank. The XV920R tank is too ugly and bulky, I think the KZ650 tank will be too wide, but this Benelli is looking like it belongs.

So now the tank is de-rusting what little was in there, and I will be shaping and smoothing it as long as the temps cooperate. The rear wheel is curing in its new coat of aluminum primer and when that's good and ready, I'm thinking gloss black front and rear. Maybe gunmetal to show off the nice matching 5 spokes more...
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2017, 12:52:43 by MORK »

Offline bikeWillem

• Suzuki FTW
Re: Low and slow XV920R
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2017, 13:34:22 »
Already some great improvements compared to how you bought it. I'm following!

Offline ChroniclyQuickly

• The itch
Re: Low and slow XV920R
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2017, 15:03:09 »
It's going to be gorgeous. With the modern components, I think the skid plate over the pipe would be a relevant touch.

I have frame sliders and lower case crash bars on both of my bikes and people actually comment on them positively all the time. I'm not sure why but they do add something aesthetically for mine and I suspect they'd look even better on yours with that V motor. You can't beat the functionality either, it's nice to not need new case covers if an oil slick rears its ugly head.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Ton up