www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: XV920R - Fat and Low  (Read 6018 times)

Offline MORK

• Back at er
Re: Low and slow XV920R
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2017, 14:43:52 »
It's going to be gorgeous. With the modern components, I think the skid plate over the pipe would be a relevant touch.

I have frame sliders and lower case crash bars on both of my bikes and people actually comment on them positively all the time. I'm not sure why but they do add something aesthetically for mine and I suspect they'd look even better on yours with that V motor. You can't beat the functionality either, it's nice to not need new case covers if an oil slick rears its ugly head.

Thanks - not quite the skid plate I have in mind though. This thing actually had some crash bars initially, and they are long removed. More likely an aluminum runner underneath just to protect the pipes and case from curbs and speed bumps.

Offline MORK

• Back at er
Re: Low and slow XV920R
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2017, 16:32:38 »
I happen to like painting wheels. Prepping wheels... not so much. But for this bike, I think I'll make an exception.

Offline MORK

• Back at er
Low and slow XV920R
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2017, 17:17:04 »
Running some handling numbers...

2005 R6: (my obvious comparison as this is where the fork is from)

Rake: 24°
Trail: 3.4"
Wheelbase: 54.3"

R6 fork swapped XV920R:
Rake: 25°
Trail: 3.5"
Wheelbase: 59"

I'm pretty excited about these numbers - obviously a ton more goes into it, but I'm getting excited to get this done and rideable. The rear is going to come down a bit with the new tire and wheel setup, but should only be .5-.75" and I should be just fine with that.

Speaking of tires...

Offline jgyuen

Re: XV920R - Fat and Low
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2017, 01:53:12 »
Is that the new rear? I wanna see that sucker shoe-horned in there

Offline MORK

• Back at er
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2017, 22:08:14 »
Is that the new rear? I wanna see that sucker shoe-horned in there

You and me both. The rear wheel is still curing - should be mounted this week. Shouldn't take much shoe-horning, maybe a bit of spacer trimming, and I believe I have the sprockets all figured out as well for the 530 conversion.

Offline MORK

• Back at er
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2017, 16:40:06 »
Wheel and tire clear - picking up conversion spacers this weekend and the new bearings should be here soon...

I have decided against fiberglass, so things are going to get a bit more fun around here...

Offline Kamn

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2017, 17:08:38 »
I see you are going the aluminum route??
Will this be your first rodeo? Cause that stump looks brand new

Good luck dude
'82 Kawi GPZ550

'73 CB750 K3 (needs restoration)

Offline MORK

• Back at er
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2017, 17:22:16 »
I see you are going the aluminum route??
Will this be your first rodeo? Cause that stump looks brand new

Good luck dude

Just carved it out today and made a couple test panels. The idea I have rattling around in my head should be simple enough for a first project in hammering one out.

Offline Kamn

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2017, 17:39:51 »
And my good luck was sincere just incase it came across as a sarcastic or smart ass-ish
But good job on carving out the stump, do you have other tools to go along with the stump, like an english wheel or some big dollies?
And get ready to sweat like a whore in church during confession.......I started on my tank last weekend, getting the top part hammered out and boy was I sweaty as hell
But I will say this, there is an awesome sense of satisfaction when you start to form out what you have pictured in your head........also be ready to screw up a lot of pieces potentially, so have plenty of material on hand.

What kind of sheet alum did you get?
'82 Kawi GPZ550

'73 CB750 K3 (needs restoration)

Offline kadavenport

« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2017, 02:38:40 »
Best of luck with the aluminum! I'm just got upstairs after a few hours cutting out and bending the bottom and tunnel for my alloy tank. As kamn said, "sweaty".

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON