A collection of mostly unrelated Sportster parts

Rider52

Over 1,000 Posts
A little over a year ago I traded a bunch of Honda parts for a bunch of parts that was supposed to be a 1973 Sportster XLH. What I got was a 1973 XLH frame and the lower end of a 1977 XLH motor with busted cases. Some of the parts included in this deal found their way to other projects, but I still had a large pile of stuff taking up space in the garage. I thought I would have at least a rolling chassis by now...good thoughts are the paving stones to hell. It's all still piled up in the way and I'm tired of walking around it. This is how it looked when I picked it up

Attachments

• mississippi parts.jpg
    mississippi parts.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Mississippi parts 9.JPG
    Mississippi parts 9.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Mississippi parts 11.JPG
    Mississippi parts 11.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 866
Where is this going? Well likely no where, but a while back I saw these guys http://www.shortsters.com/ and the germ of another idea was planted in my pea head. So, I ordered one of their rear motor mount kits and it has sat on my desk for several months. http://www.shortsters.com/new-products-.html

Holy crap I cut my motor in half!!!! Well, it's not a chopper unless you are chopping something off! No turning back now! Almost ironic that a Milwaukee sawzall would be cutting up a Milwaukee vibrator.
At this point, I probably need to read the instructions!

Attachments

• Half a motor.JPG
    Half a motor.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 373
  • Half a motor 2.JPG
    Half a motor 2.JPG
    554.7 KB · Views: 373
If you have been holding your breath waiting for an update....BREATHE! I've been busy with other things so no big update on this pile of metal. I do have a cam cover and cams on the way, things that were missing from the original do it yourself kit. I guess that makes me committed to finishing this bike or maybe I just need to be committed. I spent part of one day cleaning up the jagged and ragged cuts on the motor crankcase. I'll try to do better on pictures and keep this interesting.

A bit of an update and a couple of pictures. I've been in a Certified Mental Health Facility (CMHF) for the past couple of weeks. Polite Southern folks say "He's been away", usually followed by "Bless his little heart"! Actually, I messed up my back doing some "honey do" yard chores and have been down for the count. While I was down the much needed cam cover and cams came in the mail. This is the stuff that makes the QCB forum guys get weak in the knees and cry in public. Four...count them, four cams all bundled in one engine package. Take that you DOHC guys with your modern engineering and complicated valve adjustments. Sportsters have four cams and use nice little alignment marks to get things in order. A monkey could keep a Sportster running. Also, while giving my back a rest, I changed my thoughts about using the Shortster rigid frame conversion. When I feel like lifting anything bigger than a cheeseburger, I'll post some more pictures.

Attachments

• Cam Cover.jpg
    Cam Cover.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 367
  • Cover and cams.jpg
    Cover and cams.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 349
Love the different and unusual projects.
A couple of years ago, The Horse Back Street Choppers had a feature bike with chopped Sporty motor and a Baker six speed in it - probably overkill in the strength department but the gearing allowed for great highway cruising.
I also remember someone doing this and using a British pre-unit gearbox a long, long time ago, but don't remember much else about the build. Hope the guy put the 5 speed conversion in it, though.
Looks like a fun project.
Pat

Got distracted buying one of these for my wife. Now my play money is tight!

Attachments

• 2017 Ford Fusion.jpg
    2017 Ford Fusion.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 344
heard that man. I just did the same thing and my cycle funds are about drained now lol

This thread is closed! I am such a slacker. I finished the build and sold the bike without taking a single additional picture or updating the story. Suffice to say it cost more than I expected but if I don't count any labor hours I made a tiny profit. I say finished, but it was not painted. Ran, stopped, titled and licensed when it went to a new home.

Back
Top Bottom