www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: New honda cb 125e  (Read 9439 times)

Offline urastus

Re: New honda cb 125e
« Reply #90 on: Sep 04, 2016, 03:55:49 »
The bike with the new shocks and screen.

Also got an o ring chain coming, might add a couple of links which will extend the wheelbase and quell those unexpected power wheelies.

Not too worried about the forks bottoming, have allready added a bit of preload so it rides ok although it does dive a bit under brakes. I do like a bit of compliance and damping in my forks though, have fitted emulators or intiminators to my last 7 bikes. Ricor doesn't seem to make intiminators to fit 31mm forks but YSS has some emulators that should work.

Hey, I just noticed your upmarket horns :) You'd love riding around in Asia.

Offline Plodalong

« Reply #91 on: Sep 04, 2016, 07:18:21 »
Been to a few Asian countries, quite happy to be a passanger in a car. Was told when I went to Bangkok in the 90s  the road toll in the city was 14000, half those motorcycle fatalities.

Put the horns on to sound more like a car horn, local drivers suck.

Offline urastus

« Reply #92 on: Oct 01, 2016, 08:11:42 »
The air injection is a little valve that opens when you back off the throttle and allows air to enter the exhaust which helps to burn any unburnt fuel in the exhaust reducing emissions. The valve lives up under the tank behind the engine head. It has a small tube that connects betwween the valve and the inlet manifold and two large tubes that connect To the valve. One tube goes to the airfilter and the other goes to the chrome on the cam cover, I unbolted the valve and sealed off the connecting points. The chrome tube on the cam cover I cut short and crimped and sealed it. Makes it a little easier to remove the cam cover for valve adjustments.

Hey plodalong, I did some work on the bike tonight and half remembered what you said about the air injection thingy. I pulled it off thinking it was crankcase breather and hooked the hose straight from the rocker cover to the air box. Of course I thought "that's not right" when I started the bike up and felt air coming out the airbox snorkel. I left everything, came in here and re read your post :) Prior to reading your post again, I was going to reconnect everything thinking it was a pcv. Now I can leave it off and just plug up the hole in the rocker cover pipe and the airbox.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2016, 08:14:01 by urastus »

Offline urastus

« Reply #93 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:55:00 »
Long absence with a lot happening, but very slow on the bike front. Although I've been riding it a fair bit.

The updates:) I finally jetted the carb. Put in a 110 and cut the top off the air box. Huge difference. I can imagine it may have been 1hp or less, but it made a real difference, especially on hills in top gear (not having to drop down). And the induction noise - I thought the exhaust was loose. I pulled the plug and it still looked lean, so I've just jetted to 112. Not a huge difference but now the plug colour is finally looking a bit better. I used a plug color chart here: http://hpibajass.com/spark-plug-color/. I think mine is now similar to 13 or 14 on the picture. With the 108 (original jet) I reckon it was similar to picture 19 (mine had some white on the tip).

The motor seems to be cooler too, or at least seems to cool down quicker, which suggests it isn't as hot.

Previously I was using some valve lube in the fuel to help compensate for the lean fuel. A while ago I read on a forum somewhere where this guy was putting in some two stroke oil in his fuel. I'm going to do the same. Some castrol two stroke. I've put in about half a teaspoon to about 5 litres. Gail's scooter seems to run a lot freer than my cb, and I thought this might be because of the ring design that enables the cylinder to be lubed (with the gearbox oil?).

The ixil exhaust is holding up surprisingly well. I haven't put another bracket on it yet and do lots of forestry type dirt roads, some 4wd roads.

The pannier racks, panniers, and chain oiler are great and continue to work without any trouble.

I bought a cutting wheel for my little grinder and cut off the side stand assembly. It was stopping me from using the whole foot peg when standing, and it's a little foot peg as it is. I also cut off half the rear rack; I'll never use the back end of the rack and I still have the handle capability.

I've found what is for me, good tyre pressures. 26/21 on road, 18/15 off road. On road I get the best out of these tyres now. No more chicken strips and the tyres still hold their profile but absorb any sharp bumps. Off road pressures flatten the rear a bit when I'm sitting - but that isn't often. The rear tyre is only warm whenever I check it (unlike the tyres on my motard). With gear, tools etc (in the panniers) I reckon it's carrying about 90kg.

Some pictures :) The last one is from a recent exploratory ride
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2017, 06:12:06 by urastus »

Offline grcamna5

« Reply #94 on: Jan 03, 2017, 00:17:09 »
Nice dry weather for you there.I live in the Pittsburgh,PA. area and the ground never dries up,always moist w/ too many allergies that I have I'll be moving out to the West USA soon. I'm glad to hear you jetted-up to keep your engine running cooler.  8)
Do your Best,no one can take that from you.

Offline urastus

« Reply #95 on: Jan 03, 2017, 03:31:06 »
I'd need different tyres if it was wet :) I've still got the kendas that came on the bike. We did put kenda trials tyres on Gail's scooter (one of the few tyres in 14")

Offline urastus

Re: New honda cb 125
« Reply #96 on: Jan 07, 2017, 04:52:10 »
I was wrong with the larger main. I rode a track that I'm familiar with - what gears I use on what hills. With the 112 main the bike was the same as it was when I was running the 108. I swapped back to the 110 - I now know this is the best main.

I still wondered if I could get some more performance at 80 -100% of throttle. I found this great article on carb tuning: http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,lower_rpm_engines.html. After reading that I thought it sounded like wot was still lean, so I put in another washer. We did about 100km of tight twisty sealed road where little bikes rule. I'd catch up to a wannabe rally driver, pull over and wait so that I'd get open slather at the corners. It feels stronger at high throttle going up hills. I feel that the tuning is finished :)

This is for cb 125e owners who might happen upon this. Each washer is .57mm thick - so a total of 1.14mm is ideal. There is a white nylon thingy that sits on top of the needle, and locks down with a quarter turn. With two washers the needle sits too high for the thingy to lock down. Take the spring off the thingy and grind the post down that the spring was on. I used a dremel tool with a narrow stone. It only has to be ground down .6mm or so. Put the spring back on and now it will lock down.

Offline urastus

« Reply #97 on: Aug 08, 2017, 03:59:10 »
A tyre review. I know these tyres are amazing for this bike, and there aren't a lot of options here in Aus for a 50/50 tyre. So, I'm keeping this thread alive for any fellow cb125e owners looking for info.

I've been using kenda block trails - these are the same as in the picture above of Gail's bike. I think they are the best 50/50 tyre I've used. They are better than the original road tyres on road. I always go edge to edge on or off road, both front and rear. The rear has about 3mm left in the centre and I still roll onto the sides with no drama - I've never had that in the past (they always slid at this point). Although past dual sports I owned were always bigger, heavier and more powerful. Where I live it is rocky or hardpack or loose over hard.

Anyway, I went for a ride yesterday (first time in a month, Winter :(  ), and tried out a new action cam. I thought it would make a good tyre review - an objective rather than this subjective review. The roads in the review are tight and twisty. The bike looks fast, but I haven't gone over 80km/ph and generally peg out at 70km/ph. The roads make it look fast - it's where little bikes rule :) Enjoy