My first build, Honda cg125

jm72

Here it goes! My first cafe (unless you count the Honda monkey street tracker I started and never finished). I've always loved little hondas and have wanted to build a faired racer for a while, I bought a really clean cd175 twin and instantly thought, this might be a bit too good to start hacking about! That's another project for another time now though as the other day I was gifted a cg125,
7d73e257cabd926aaa171d691c2d0c1c.jpg

This is how it looked when I got hold of it, the rear wheel and seat were with it but not on when I took the picture, aside from a nasty tank and seat, broken headlight and a couple of other little niggles, the bikes pretty good! Looks like it's had a piston as the barrel and head seem to have been off it recently, it had new rear shocks, and the wheels aren't pitted at all. I therefore decided, scrap the tank and seat, change a few bits and build a cafe!
I got to tearing it down and have found no horror stories as of yet (touch wood) and, well I just couldn't help myself, flipped the bars, sat way back and started making engine sounds with my mouth, cmon I'm an excited teenager
0c55166b2b5d76e6fec8fadbc6b8e182.jpg

Anyway I've had a go at de-cluttering the frame of all the tabs and things I don't want, bought a set of clipons, and then I got really excited and bought a dream 50 tank and seat. I think I'm going to do this one as an unfaired dream style bike, just because it's my first real crack at a project like this and I'm not known for finishing things! I'm going to try and keep this one simple.
Hopefully bits will start arriving soon and I can start getting it together, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

d0ada33b6a3c683898dd87828fe19fc3.jpg

Look what just turned up! It's a sky team ace kit from ooracing and I've got to say, I think it looks mega... time for a mock up me thinks!
0e5c37961c8b5a773bcbb36c0e5d0430.jpg

To be honest the tank fits rather well! The front mounts will need to be moved on the frame but the rear falls right over a perfectly placed hole, so mounting that up should just be a case of making up a little spacer and bolting it up.
The seat might want a little bit of thinking about however as id quite like to incorporate a tail light mount into the seat mount, I'll have to give that one a closer look though. The rear tyre is way oversize so although it looks like there's hardly any clearance at all in the picture, it should work out alright.

Got some clip ons today, they're not the nicest of things but they'll do the trick! I'm going to have to play around with angles and lengths until it all works nicely. I turned up some adapters for the clamps to work on the tiny forks and here it is.
1be2522b3c2b41b1e344e9da20f7c37a.jpg
63e1aba12ec52e3a72c13719fe8ad271.jpg

668109780013bee3662f6f094c336eeb.jpg

Looks like you have become eligible for honorary membership of the SkyTeam 'Ace' crew!

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=101.0

The CG125 motor is a beauty; not a lot of power but as reliable as the day is long.

Crazy

Cheers crazy! I'll have a look through that lot, looking in the owners manual, the valves have zero overlap, a hotter cam might wake it up a bit! Any idea if there's one available?

Some hot-up goodies are available from Brazil as CGs were manufactured there in large numbers.
Apparently quality is a bit variable and shipping can be somewhat difficult but a few 'Ace' owners have taken the plunge.

More top-end is nice but for my purposes improving mid-range has been more useful. If you lack mid-range power it takes forever to get to that top-end.
Good breathing (both in and out) and some weight reduction combined with appropriate sprocket sizes helps heaps.

The biggest gain for my bike was the conversion to 150cc. It really is a sweet spot for the CG, and barrels and pistons are ridiculously cheap from China.

These little bikes are much fun to ride flat-out

Good luck with your build and keep us posted on your progress!

Crazy

Oh thanks! I'll have a look into that one. I've not got much done today as St Patrick's day meant that for most of the morning I couldn't function properly, I'm about to get some tank bushes ordered though as they didn't provide any with the tank unit! Tomorrow is a write off as well as I'm going down to the pioneer run, my dad's riding a 1908 BAT, believed to be the only one of its kind left in existence! Rolled it out of the shed, put a drop of fuel in it, a little push and away it went. Here are a few little photos just for fun
4449060edc33ee85d9f0c5f0cd737f37.jpg
46e290065ae5f677578e59dc01d2a649.jpg
7b2538041f37d2b1a7e93c8314bf1313.jpg

So today I was given another cb125 (I know, more free stuff! My favourite!) it's a superdream, I'm not sure what Honda were dreaming about though! It's pretty ghastly. It's so rough I'm not sure much of it's useable though which is a pain, the whole bike sat at the bottom of a mates lawn for god knows how long, a missing spark plug for all this time pretty much renders the engine had it, however i had a peek in under the rocker cover and all the rocker gear is spotless! Brand new oil in it as well, real shame then that it wants a rebuild, I'll whip the head off when I get a chance and we can assess the situation. Had a close look between the cg and the superdream, almost everything is different! The twin cylinder looks like it would just bolt right up into the cg frame but after having a crack at it, it wasn't having any of it. The frame is slightly different as well, same kinda design but instead of the main tube, it's a pressed steel section, not very pretty but there you go. The swingarm set up is nicer though, it's got a bearing set up as opposed to the bushed effort that's in the cg, not that the cg setup is a problem, they tend to be a bugger to get out after they sit for a while though.

The superdream has a couple of kinda neat brackets which fix the pillion foot pegs to the swing arm bolt and centre stand, as soon as I noticed them I had thoughts about cg125 rear sets as they looked like they'd bolt up almost perfect, again though, they're quite a lot different, bugger!! Anyone got any suggestions for cg rear sets? Seen a few set ups but mostly big garish plates, anyone done anything a bit neater?

Jesse

006f193f659609644af414750c3cf4e3.jpg

Mocked up my fairing with the engine in the other night and I feel like a naughty kid, this is too cool. Time to make some brackets

Back
Top Bottom