www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Suzuki GS550 rookie budget build  (Read 1068 times)

Offline k.graham

Re: Suzuki GS550 rookie budget build
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2017, 20:56:19 »
Here's the process of how they are made:

Pattern it out based on cardboard cutout of the triangular space in the frame. Add 3/8 for seam allowance all around. Cut it out

Hem the edges that will be exposed

Stitch the rectangular end panels in

Turn it rightside out, then repeat a mirror image for the other side!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline alemonkey

« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2017, 21:13:51 »
Dang.  You have some skill.  Looking good.

Offline k.graham

« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2017, 21:47:44 »
Honestly it wasn't really all that difficult. Prior to 9:30 pm last night, I hadn't used a sewing machine since 7th grade home economics. I did find there are some transferable skills from my work as a cabinetmaker, like laying out shapes and templates, but I kind of just freestyled it after a few pointers from my wife and a couple of practice stitches on some scraps. I'd highly recommend anyone at least give it a try if you are so inclined, and have access to a basic machine. At $10 for materials including enough to do a seat, you really can't go wrong!

Offline alemonkey

« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2017, 22:15:43 »
I covered my seat with stretch vinyl from here:  http://www.sailrite.com/Allsport-4-Way-Stretch-Black-54-Vinyl-Fabric and it turned out ok, but I'd like to try sewing so I can add some pleats.  Did you just use a basic machine?  I've heard a lot of the regular machines can't handle vinyl.

Offline k.graham

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2017, 22:29:54 »
I covered my seat with stretch vinyl from here:  http://www.sailrite.com/Allsport-4-Way-Stretch-Black-54-Vinyl-Fabric and it turned out ok, but I'd like to try sewing so I can add some pleats.  Did you just use a basic machine?  I've heard a lot of the regular machines can't handle vinyl.

Yeah it's just a basic home machine with a denim needle. I specifically made things so that I didn't really have any areas that overlapped more than once. I plan to do some pleats on my seat, which may require some figuring on how to keep things running smooth where seams overlap. I did notice that the fabric had a hard time feeding through where there was an extra thickness or two near the end of a stitch line. Without a foot that will sort of "walk" along the top, it may cause an issue. I'll definitely be posting the process once I get to it. The warm(ish) weather is finally starting to show up here in midwestern Canada, so I just want to get this thing road ready so I can ride the few days it's actually possible! It's snowed here at least one day each week for the last 4 weeks. Roads are finally starting to be dry, and I think we've seen the last of the spring snowfall :)

Offline k.graham

« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2017, 02:08:18 »
Slowly picking away at the GS over the last few months. Just evenings here and there when I get the chance. Tonight I built a little indicator light cluster. No more cruising down the highway forgetting that my signal is on! It'll get painted when I paint the tank, so it should blend in pretty well. Sorry the photos are so dark. The lighting in my bike shed is horrific.

Offline dakine_surf

• "Stay Thirsty my Friends"
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2017, 06:46:24 »
Wow great work... you'll definitely want to use a commercial machine if you decide to do leather down the line.  You can try with some thin leather but it still binds pretty bad and you might break a few needles... ask me how I know

I never had never used a sewing machine either and started playing around with it and picked it up pretty quick.  My mom has a sewing room at my parents house, so I started doing basic stuff there and then picked up an industrial sewing machine from the 60's nice old singer.  Was $100 on craigslist.  Needed a new power cord which I replaced for $10.  Still haven't tried to do a seat yet but I know the machine will take it

Well I tried but I can't run no more
Tell Katie it's her that I adore
And as long as I love her best
I'm that much further west