JB Weld strong enough for tabs used to attach seat pan to frame?

Jimbonaut

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
It's taken a while (life threw a few curveballs and detours along the way but that's nothing out of the ordinary, right?) but my frame is now pretty much ready for paint. One thing I haven't done yet is weld some tabs onto the frame to secure the seat pan. I don't have a welder, and I'm considering using JB Weld for the job.

Plan is to use the bracket near the tank to secure the front of the seat, and JB weld a tab on either side of the rear of the frame (near the hoop) to secure the rear of the pan. Question is - will JB weld be strong enough for the job?

Cheers all,

- J

UM.....no
get it welded before you shoot any paint, JB weld will NOT hold what you are asking it to do

Thanks guys - should have mentioned that the tabs will not be holding any weight, the seat will be supported by the frame rails and the tabs will be used to anchor the seat in place. Still a no-go?

still a no go, unless you like your seat riding the frame loosely with no anchoring

It is not really a question of strength, but more of a question of how the tabs will be placed onto the frame.

Sheer is a bitch....

Get them welded. Find a local welder to do it - that what I did for years when I didn't have welding gear in house. I did rent a stick welder once. That was ugly and not as cheap as getting a real welder to do the job right.

No (to JB Weld) - explore "p-clamps" for an easier, less messy, stronger way to mount something like that.

Some local welder in Montreal will put the tabs on for you. If you were closer to Toronto I'd say bring it by and I'd weld them on.

That's a pretty resounding no - should have mentioned that the seat will be supported by the frame rails and not the tabs that I'll be welding on, but from what you say there may be other problems associated with the strength and sheer tolerances of JB Weld.

Thanks a lot for your input =)

I do, there's some over on my Introduction thread (that's become more of a Q&A thread!) -

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72170.390

Page 27-28 have the most recent pics of the frame. Haven't actually started work on the pan and seat yet, so that's this weekend taken care of =)

None of your pics are working for me in that thread.

I used Velcro to hold a seat pan on. In fact, i used too much, I could top out the shocks lifting by the pan and it was real hard to get the seat off.

See my CB360 build thread

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Jimbo, check out my 360 thread. I used captive nuts on the seat pan itself, and drilled holes in the factory cross members on the frame and bolt the seat on from the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Don't use JB weld for anything. Play Dough is a far superior substance and is more likely to be threadable and machinable. It is also non-toxic and safe for kids to eat whilst they are welding stuff together with it.

Just make up your tabs, clean up and prep the area where they are to be attached and then pop and see someone with a welder who knows how to use it (garages are a good place to start). You'll find that you get the job done right and safe.

I've held seats on with tie wraps and all sorts of shoite in the past. It did the job and you could pick the full bike up by the seat. Didn't make it right though.

Ok, no to JB Weld. Got the job done right - made a brace with some strip steel and got it welded. I'll drill out the holes for the seat pan (and fender mounts) once I've got everything mocked up...

Back
Top Bottom