Cb360 rear brake

dantyler92

Hello all,
So I had a flat on my cb and pulled the tire to replace the tube. I disconnected the rear brake arm from the drum instead of taking off the rear brake adjusting nut. When I went to put everything together the rear brake is fully engaged when I connect it to the wheel. First time removing a wheel from my bike so I'm sure I made some simple mistake but I haven't found anything on google so I figured I would bring the question here.
Thanks!

Can you post a picture of your setup, the splined shaft has multiple positions you need to make sure the geometry is correct and that your brake pedal it's all the way up when connecting. The brake arm engages in both the push and pull so you need to make sure it's right in the middle.

Sounds like you have the brake arm on the shaft incorrectly, but before you do anything make sure you have the brake stay arm reinstalled correctly, as well as all the bits that mount the wheel. That is the arm that bolts to the swingarm that keeps the brake backing plate from turning when the brake is applied. Probably you have the arm indexed one spline off so you will have to take it back off and get it aligned on the right splines. Some brake cams, the shaft of which splines to the brake arm, have an index mark stamped into the end of the shaft that aligns with the split on the brake arm. I think Honda has two punch marks, one on the end of the shaft and another on the arm. You can see the mark(s) with the brake arm installed if it (they )are there. If yours has marks, simply take the arm back off and put it back on with the mark(s) aligned and all should be well. If not, remove the adjuster nut from the actuating rod and see where the arm is orientated on the spline you have it on. Make sure that the pedal is in the up or "not applying the brake" position. The arm should be near the end of the rod. Without moving the rod, manually operate the brake arm until the shoes engage the drum. The arm should be within the adjustment range on the rod. If not, take it off and put it back on so it is oriented within the adjustment range when the shoes engage the drum.

Front brake but same idea.

alignmentmarks3.png

So I've found the punch marks on the end of the spline and the brake arm. That and the washer have a notch in them that only allow them to go on in one position so you'd think it would have to be the correct position

ffba7fb230bf4a927e63e6b1326f9c44.jpg
15c16ccaa49827bdae52bdc68cf2d3cd.jpg
3f60e6bc1d4a089ce729b8822a11326e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Got it! Upon further inspection the reference marks were just a hair off and that was enough. Re aligned the marks and works perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

You may want to fit that bolt from the correct direction. It should go through the arm without threads into the part with threads. Seems to be a common problem as I've seen it happen hundreds of times

I'm not sure it helps or not. But, something I do when tightening axel bolt is to keep the brake pedal pressed hard. Just to ensure a good centering. For both pads to contact equally.

Back
Top Bottom