www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: CB100/125 Big Bore Old Skool Cafe Road Racer Build  (Read 2448 times)

Offline kittykatjaz

Re: CB100/125 Big Bore Old Skool Cafe Road Racer Build
« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2017, 08:32:19 »
As the cylinder head is off an XL of some variety I had to move the upper engine mount and make a new bracket. Was a straight forward task.

Offline kittykatjaz

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2017, 08:37:52 »
Wheels were fun. I purchased a couple of second hand valanced rims being 1.85x18 for the front and 2.15x18 for the rear. Also new stainless spokes and nipples. It took a bit to clean the rims and hubs up. Fitted new wheel bearings then laced the wheels up. To get them straight I also made the wheel truing stand.

Offline Luugo86

• '73 CB350, '78 XS650 Cafe Killer
    • ToadStool Cycle Co.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2017, 08:39:12 »
 Do you have any detail on how you welded in the fuel petcock bung on the tank?
Live to Die, Die to Live

Offline kittykatjaz

« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2017, 08:42:20 »
The top triple clamp was a pain. I decided to machine off the original handlebar mounts and weld up the rear holes. I don't know what type of alloy was used in the casting but it was crap to weld. As soon as the torch lit up it just splattered everywhere. After mucking around with tig settings the best I could get was a barely passable result. I am not game enough to hit it again.

Offline kittykatjaz

« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2017, 08:49:24 »
Do you have any detail on how you welded in the fuel petcock bung on the tank?
Sure have.

I bought a second hand RGV250 petcock then machined a thick 6061 alloy plate drilled and tapped to match. I welded the plate to a small box section that sits as the lowest point of the tank. The weld is not pretty there but it is solid.

Offline kittykatjaz

« Reply #15 on: Jul 01, 2017, 08:58:06 »
Doing the rear brake cable setup took a bit of thought. I made the brackets, adjusters, clevis and cable. To make sure the cable is going to be safe I made a tool to birdcage the inner cable before soldering. All the local bike stores looked at me funny when trying to buy cable ferrules and nipples. Finally I had to order them in. I have also had to shorten the front brake cable and clutch cable using the same technique of birdcaging the inner cables and dipping in hot plumbers solder. 

Offline kittykatjaz

« Reply #16 on: Jul 01, 2017, 09:03:05 »
For the speedo I am fitting a Daytona Velona with an active pickup fitted to read from the front sprocket bolts. I welded an alloy block in the side cover then machined it to fit the active pickup. It has been machined to give the sensor 1.5mm clearance from the sprocket bolts.

Offline Luugo86

• '73 CB350, '78 XS650 Cafe Killer
    • ToadStool Cycle Co.
« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2017, 13:22:43 »
Thanks for the info on the fuel petcock man, I appreciate it. Was it difficult to weld that alloy block to the cast engine side cover? Those engine covers are really porous metals, just curious how it acted when you put an arc on it. You must have a pretty nice shop man lol.. all that machining.

Live to Die, Die to Live

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #18 on: Jul 01, 2017, 21:14:19 »
Some nice work there.  Especially like the eccentric peddle adjuster - often overlooked.  I often bore a hole axially through the threaded section of a stainless bolt and silver solder the cable to it.  Stronger than the cable itself, and makes a handy adjustment to the cable length when you don't want to have the adjustment at the housing as you have nicely done.
Mobius

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

1973 RD350 Yamaha build  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66498.0

Offline kittykatjaz

« Reply #19 on: Jul 02, 2017, 01:45:32 »
Thanks for the info on the fuel petcock man, I appreciate it. Was it difficult to weld that alloy block to the cast engine side cover? Those engine covers are really porous metals, just curious how it acted when you put an arc on it. You must have a pretty nice shop man lol.. all that machining.
Welding the side cover was not too bad as I was not worried about the looks of it. I hit it with a die grinder first, then stainless brush then acetone. The only bit that splattered was the lower part but I only needed enough weld to securely hold the block in.

My tools are good and equipment well setup but workshop is a cramped mess.