www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build  (Read 5721 times)

Offline cb250nproject

Re: FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build
« Reply #30 on: Jun 18, 2017, 03:31:35 »
you could ask max at planet discs.

Cheers Brad I'll probably touch base with them next break

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #31 on: Jun 18, 2017, 03:43:35 »
So I'm trying to take a more measured approach.

So I drew up a centre line and a few other points of reference

As you can see it took me a couple of attempts to get it where I wanted to

Once the lines were drawn I cut it all as close to the desired shape as I could

Next thing I did was go to work on the left hand side of the seat pan didn't mould to the chassis rail it was bowing out a little in two spots and was doing my head in so I cut them out the redid the left side

You probably can't see the difference in the before and after but it follows the contour of the tail around much better.

Once the resin dries I may have to build it up wit a few more pieces of fibreglass just to get it sweet.

In addition there are a few spots that will need to be filled in and levelled out then I'll look at cutting the slot in for the rear tail light LEd strip and I'll have to weld a support bracket for the hump in the tail

Offline Popeye SXM

• Also used for MX
« Reply #32 on: Jun 18, 2017, 21:53:20 »
Great bike! The joy of fiberglass is you can keep adding or removing it until you get the shape you want. You just need time and motivation!!!!! For me that rear disc is spoiling the good looks, drilling some holes to match the front ones might help. 

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #33 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:56:16 »
Great bike! The joy of fiberglass is you can keep adding or removing it until you get the shape you want. You just need time and motivation!!!!! For me that rear disc is spoiling the good looks, drilling some holes to match the front ones might help.
I agree wholeheartedly the disc needs to be drilled. I'm away at work now for the next six weeks but once i return ill look at going somewhere to get someone to drill it out, my seal kit for the rear caliper came in the mail today so i will strip it down repaint it and refurbish it will be a good opportunity to take the disc of and sent it away.

Still have a few other things to nut out now also kike the speedo i had a cable one left over from a previous build but i just realised with the CM hub and spacers i used there is no room for a speedo, so ill have to find some other option with the guages less is more for me small and unobtrusive. Guess ill be scouring the net for options while im at work.

The fiberglass depending on how the ocd is could take longer than anticipated 😕 but it was never meant to be easy, honestly i wish i was an accomplished welder steel seat pans and tails look trick, but unfortunately thats a skill im yet to master so fiberglass it is

Sent from my GT-I9305 using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline LightsOut

« Reply #34 on: Jun 20, 2017, 06:02:09 »
Fiberglass work looks really good in the pictures at least!

Don't recall where that rear disc was from, but some (old Hondas) are apparently really hardened so get some good drill bits :)

Re speedo, aftermarket ones like Koso use a magnetic sensor you mount to the one of the brake caliper nuts. That's a clean and minimal solution. Believe they read the tach from the coils as well so that would eliminate the tach cable from the valve cover as a bonus.

...or I've seen some get a sensor from e.g an F3 CBR which reads from the front sprocket. That would require a custom machined or at least modified sprocket cover for mounting though. Google 'dons cup of gold' for a build with that solution.

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #35 on: Jun 20, 2017, 07:25:11 »
Lol good from a far but far from good, it will need some TLC when im home next.
Those koso speedos look pretty trick have you used them?

Today the CR carbs arrived in the post today 😆 pretty happy about that, now im just waiting on some shims so i can finish the valve clearances, reseal the engine and give it a good glean up... then onto wiring not ny Forte at all.

Offline LightsOut

« Reply #36 on: Jun 20, 2017, 07:33:04 »
Haven't used the Kosos myself, but only heard good things. Will probably be going with them when I get going with my build. Seems like a quality brand. I believe Acewell uses similar setup too.

Remember to set the valve clearances to .005-.006, not down to .002 as the FSM says. At least that seems to be the collective wisdom of the 1100f.net forum :) Too tight especially on the exhaust side risks burning the valves.

Offline brad black

« Reply #37 on: Jun 20, 2017, 09:09:23 »
i had max make me a disc recently, i think it was all water cut, even the holes in it.  not sure how thick the original is, but you could get it made thinner too from stainless, 4mm is fine.  and a bit smaller, to take a smaller caliper.

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #38 on: Jun 21, 2017, 06:18:44 »
Haven't used the Kosos myself, but only heard good things. Will probably be going with them when I get going with my build. Seems like a quality brand. I believe Acewell uses similar setup too.

Remember to set the valve clearances to .005-.006, not down to .002 as the FSM says. At least that seems to be the collective wisdom of the 1100f.net forum :) Too tight especially on the exhaust side risks burning the valves.

Ill have to check out Acewell also, yea i too scoured over the forums and came to the same conclusion as you and left min .006 i think better to have too much than not enough may sound shit but wont fuck the valves.

Hopefully all the shims are ready would be cool to put them in fit the carbs and see if i can fire her up  (very wishful thinking) i really want to hear the Delvic pipes.

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #39 on: Jun 21, 2017, 06:19:16 »

Ill have to check out Acewell also, yea i too scoured over the forums and came to the same conclusion as you and left min .006 i think better to have too much than not enough may sound shit but wont fuck the valves.

Hopefully all the shims are ready would be cool to put them in fit the carbs and see if i can fire her up  (very wishful thinking) i really want to hear the Delvic pipes.