Air box removal - limited space for pod air filters on CB5002 2002

MrFluffy

Hi everyone,

Newbie here... I'm a seasoned VFR rider but I've taken the plunge to convert a 2002 CB5002 into a street scrambler type bike. :D :-\

I've removed the air box and intend to replace with individual filters, however the space under the tank with the angle of the carbs is limited.

Does anyone have any experience of how to fit some pod filters on to a 1993-2002 CB500 and could you either please point me in the direction of some (cheap!) Filters that fit or piping I can use to extend the filters down and away from the tank at 90 degrees?

Help! I don't want to fall down at my first tough hurdle but I'm a bit stuck.

For more info, have a look at my bike on Instagram - account name is ac.custom

Thanks in advance.

Fluff.

MrFluffy said:
Hi everyone,

Newbie here... I'm a seasoned VFR rider but I've taken the plunge to convert a 2002 CB5002 into a street scrambler type bike. :D :-\

I've removed the air box and intend to replace with individual filters, however the space under the tank with the angle of the carbs is limited.

Does anyone have any experience of how to fit some pod filters on to a 1993-2002 CB500 and could you either please point me in the direction of some (cheap!) Filters that fit or piping I can use to extend the filters down and away from the tank at 90 degrees?

Help! I don't want to fall down at my first tough hurdle but I'm a bit stuck.

For more info, have a look at my bike on Instagram - account name is ac.custom

Thanks in advance.

Fluff.

Is your first modification of the bike to try and get pod filters on it?

A bike that 'new' is going to have a tough time running with 'pods', particularly if you get the cheapest available.
ac.custom implies you know what your doing working on bikes, obviously, you don't

Not to say that it can't be done, but the style of that bikes with radiator covers/scoops and rear seat cowl and more modern frame shape don't lend themselves to a Retro look without a lot of work and skill. Part of teh "problem" is that the motor is further forward than old bikes and swingarm is much longer and that creates a very different platform.

As for pod filters, I can see no reason to convert a modern well running bike to use pods. The flatslide CV cabrs will not be easy to re-jet and they is zero upside to fitting pods and losing the airbox. Not only will it not look better, but it will be high on impossible to get it to run anywhere near as well as stock.

If you have the skills to make new bodywork and so on, there's no reason you couldn't do a complete redesign with high level pipes up one side and a stripped down look, but it will be a lot of work. The tank is a nice shape as stock but isn't really a street scrambler style, so that and the rest of the bodywork will have to go and underneath the plastic, modern bikes are pretty ugly.

If you are determined to go ahead, I'd start by making sure it runs properly stock and that everything functions correctly, to avoid that nightmare down the track. Then I'd remove the bodywork and photograph it from both sides and print those pictures out and get out a boy of crayons/pencils etc and start playing with shapes for tank and seat and pipes and footpegs. It might take a while for a shape to evolve and it may never come, and that's OK too. Sometimes our ideas don't work on the platform we have chosen.

As for Pods, I am not sure they will ever be part of the final build. :)

MrFluffy said:

I guess here's the thing - if the airbox is sitting under the tank where it cant be see, why bother removing it?

hillsy said:
I guess here's the thing - if the airbox is sitting under the tank where it cant be see, why bother removing it?

Pretty much what I should have said but not feeling that 'nice' today

Back
Top Bottom