www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Smokey breather  (Read 449 times)

Offline scott_jangers

Re: Smokey breather
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2017, 19:28:26 »
Well I checked the oil level and it was right on the top mark. I dropped 100ml out and it still smokes. I started the engine with the tappet covers off and noticed a couple of spots out of number 1 cylinder exhaust, but apart from that there wasn't much sign of oil getting to the top of the head. Plugs are good, brown and dry.

It's still smoking, and definitely smoke not condensation. It has a smell to it that is a bit like burnt oil and fuel.

Warm engine compression test next, and when I get a moment I'll try out the seafoam and give the oil a change and filter a clean.

Offline scott_jangers

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:25:48 »
Just a quick update. Blasted half a can of seafoam spray through the carbs this morning and a ton of smoke came out of the cylinders. Took the bike for a long ride and it seems to tick along a lot smoother but will do a compression test to see what changes it may have made if any.

Anyway, I or home and checked the breather pipe. It's no longer smoking like it was, and I put my hand over the end and it was definitely wet not oily. So I'm assuming the seafoam' made some improvement. I will do a full oil change and filter clean next and see if this has any affect on the condensation, but all in all, positive stuff.

Offline scott_jangers

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2017, 19:23:31 »
So I did a warm engine compression test and got just a shade under 200psi in both cylinders. When I bought the bike as a non runner a month ago I did a cold engine compression test and got 175psi on both.

Not sure whatís happened here, if itís the difference between cold and warm or before and after sea foam? What causes higher than normal compression readings? Valve clearances?

Anyway, bikeís running great (apart from a bit of tweaking with the main jet, cleaning the crap out of the tank, changing the seat, doing an oil change, sorting the rear brake....)