www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1974 CB360 Engine Troubles (I think)  (Read 10457 times)

Offline rsjudka

Re: 1974 CB360 Engine Troubles (I think)
« Reply #90 on: Jul 17, 2017, 09:40:28 »
If you plan on keeping the stock battery box in its stock location.  Just get an agm that fits it properly.
8 - 12ah will give you what you need.
But none of the AGM batteries I've seen show an "ah" value, only volts and CCA. I was wondering what is the CCA equivalent to 12 ah

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #92 on: Jul 17, 2017, 19:35:20 »
Your sure the 'white smoke' is actually smoke and not just water vapor as engine heats up?
With CCA, more is better as it gives a reserve. You only need about 35~40 amps to keep engine turning over and around 60~70 'spike' amps to get everything initially moving. 140 CCA in theory gives you 2 ~3 starts (it's actually higher number)
Just find the exterior dimensions you want and see what CCA it has. The battery number usually tells you the A/Hr (eg, BS12, YB14, etc)
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 19:41:09 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #93 on: Jul 17, 2017, 20:17:57 »

Your sure the 'white smoke' is actually smoke and not just water vapor as engine heats up?

Well the smoke comes regardless of how hot the engine is. It only smokes when I'm revving the bike in idle, otherwise I'm not seeing any smoke when I'm riding (even at high rpms).

I'm afraid it could be oil smoke, but it doesn't smell like that and the smoke doesn't have any blue/grey tints to it.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #94 on: Jul 17, 2017, 22:11:46 »
Its the color of burning money.   ;)

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #95 on: Jul 18, 2017, 10:01:48 »
Its the color of burning money.   ;)
Oh man this project has doubled the total cost of my bike, not to mention all the govt fees and taxes

Serious question tho: do you mean that the smoke is just my gas burning up, or that the engine is going to need more work?

Offline crazypj

« Reply #96 on: Jul 18, 2017, 18:11:22 »
Just leave it alone until you get it running consistently then 'we' can start doing various tests
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #97 on: Jul 21, 2017, 23:05:09 »
First I want to say thinks to everyone so far, it's been a really exciting/sad/expensive time but I've enjoyed every second of it!

So I replaced the dead battery and rectifier/regulator (the old regulator was rusted out)

I also finally got a tach and noticed that my idle was only at like 800rpm. So I synced the carbs again and it no longer dies while decelerating! ( I'm such an idiot )

Also checked to timing with the strobe light and it was within the specs.

So this is what's going on:
  - still the smoke from the right muffler, only when I rev while idling (from 2krpm and up)
  - the left muffler is just a bit hotter (like < 5į F)
  - it feels "weird" in the lower rpms, like a low growling noise, compared to 3k -5k
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 23:06:43 by rsjudka »

Offline crazypj

« Reply #98 on: Jul 22, 2017, 21:20:13 »
You now need to vacuum sync carbs and run it for at least 200 miles. If it's had a problem for a while you may just be heating up combustion chamber, exhaust port, pipe and silencer then burning out any crap that's built up.
Keep an eye on oil level and run it for a while (pretty much check oil level every 50~60 miles or every time you ride it if doing less)
 Idle adjuster is kinda 'hidden' behind clutch cable  at front of left carb

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #99 on: Jul 23, 2017, 09:51:17 »