www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Excess Four Hundred (XS400 Brat Build)  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
Re: Excess Four Hundred (XS400 Brat Build)
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2017, 21:38:37 »
Also - picked up some tires.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2017, 13:28:21 »
Any idea how to remove the Cush rubbers? I am going to send the wheels off for powder coating

My research came up with a problem.
Looks like the rubbers are cast into the wheel and there don't seem to be replacements available.

Anyone ever seen this before? Looks like RD parts are too short to work on the XS wheel.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2017, 14:20:32 »
They remove with heat.  You can see the metal tube the urethan is cast into.  It comes out of the wheel.  Not too hard to recast from a 2-part urethane if you need to.  I converted a rear drum brake wheel to disc by machining a hub to hold the rotor and casting it into the rim with urethane, so it's essentially just like a cush drive.  That said, maybe it's not worth the effort to powder.  You can always use an automotive paint with a 2k epoxy clear coat. 

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2017, 20:30:04 »
Yeah, I am leaning that way. I can paint myself, and the powder quote I got was $125 per wheel. I can pay to have them blasted and but the paint for the cost to powder 1 rim.

Just trying to decide if it should paint B4 or after I mount the tires. I would hate to have it ruined when spooning on the tires.

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
Excess Four Hundred (XS400 Brat Build)
« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2017, 20:03:21 »
I made the slugs and tacked it in place. It came out near perfect. I am glad I tried this vs paying someone to do it.

I used a metal stake that is made for concrete forms as the base for the slugs. The frame and hoop are the same OD but different walls, so I spent some time with the angle grinder to make them fit.

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2017, 20:07:55 by Rusnak_322 »

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2017, 17:43:17 »
Got some work done, mounted the fender in place, got in a rear brake master and getting ready to recess the rear brake light into place. Also mocked up how it is going to look with the tires.

Offline OneOffStroker

« Reply #18 on: Jul 04, 2017, 21:37:35 »
Any idea how to remove the Cush rubbers? I am going to send the wheels off for powder coating

I don't know if you have thoroughly made up your mind about painting the wheels or not, but I can tell you that you can leave the rubber in the wheels and have them powdercoated.  I powdercoat and sometimes I get parts that can't have the bushings removed, and I've never had an issue with leaving them in. 

I like the inspiration pic at the beginning of the thread.  It's very similar to what I have in my head for my wife's CB650.

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #19 on: Jul 05, 2017, 18:05:33 »
I don't know, I read a few posts on either xs400.com or the Facebook page about people ruining the wheel. Some did OK, but I can paint them for 1/2 of the cost for powder. I was quoted $125 per rim. I bet I can buy all the paint (primer, base & clear) for that amount.