'81 CB900C, valve lash questions

rickroden

Hello people -
I recently had to change the cam chain tensioners on my bike. My brother the master mechanic came by and told me what to do, then basically took over. He looked inside and pointed out the my front guide was also broken, and had me order all 4 parts. And oh yeah, he says, the front guide is slotted into the engine and thats what broke. So we have to take the top end off, and that means we're takin the engine out.

So we do that. The parts come in a few days later. My brother comes out and says I think this valve right here is gonna be cracked or something. So we check it out and yes, the trumpet end of it is smashed up and its split. This is on the exhaust side, the 2/2. Money's tight right now so of course he insists I get 16 new valves, but I end up being only to afford replacing the exhaust side.

We put the new valves in, we used valve grout and got it all set up, then he did a 'poor man's compression test', and pours water into each hole and everything seemed ok. When we checked the lash, the gaps were all over the place. I can only imagine the shims got jumbled, mixed up. We used .002 and .006 for a bracket. Then he sanded some down with an upside down belt sander. Rhey were all sanded on the bottom. They didn't look too are worthy to me anymore so I said something and he says, 'well looks like you need 5 new shims, but get 6', and he told me the sizes. I got them on eBay a few days later. He puts them in and one does not add up to what he calculated. I ask him why that happened, long story short, we have a big blow up argument and he splits, and I think I am gonna have to complete this myself.

I only explain this because I have seen various posts where the OP is accused of trying to perform certain mechanical feats on their bikes that are deemed by senior members as being above their paygrade, so to speak. I'm not doing this because I got bored with my bike, it's a stripped down plain jane cb900c and I like it that way. I'm mechanical a.d I've done all sorts of stuff to my bike, but nothing this invasive. I'm doing this because I'm stuck, and I need my bike for transpo. So that being said, here's my question:

What is gained and lost concerning valve lash? I'd like to know how it affects both the intake and exhaust valves. Can I be off by .001 one way or the other and still put the bike back together?
Thank you!
3f2fdfd5b3e16315ca99898d73802371.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using DO THE TON mobile app

Hi Rick and welcome to DTT. That's a mighty sweet looking 900 you have!

I totally understand your concerns regarding getting flamed for asking about your valve lash; it happens everywhere (even here at times).

For your info, the Factory Service Manual (which you can download free at www.cb750c.com - anotger site definitely worth checking out if you have one of our DOHC hondas) calls for a 0.002" gap. That's WAY too tight, especially in a hot climate (don't kbow where you're from, but if a bike is your primary transportation, you're either nuts or not from Canada lol).

The cb750c gurus advise you aim for .005". If you're not bang on, but still within your range you should be ok. That said, it's better to be a touch loose than too tight. Metal expands with heat and if your valve clearances are too tight, things can bind or cause undue wear and tear.

Sorry to hear your brother turned out to be less help than promised; good luck!

Thanks man, much appreciated,
So if one of the valves is .001 off, that's acceptable?

The brown 900, i bought a few years ago and I ended up riding it across the United States (2015), 14000 miles. The blue one in back is before I had to repaint the gas tank...i sold the brown one a couple of months ago, was sorry to see it go...
03f98d83433d7d4daa10c5dbbb3280ea.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using DO THE TON mobile app

also add your location to your post you never know someone who has some (i have 3 cb900 2 customs and a f)

may be close by that could help you

btw my 81 is that same brown one you had

my 82 is the blue

rickroden said:
So if one of the valves is .001 off, that's acceptable?

Yes, .001" shouldn't be a big deal. These engines are pretty forgiving.

bought one just like it that had been sitting in a basement

had a knock in it so they stopped riding it

the knock was the starter clutch i fixed that and put a set of my 36mm dual carbs on it and it runs perfect

im now using it for some ignition development work

Back
Top Bottom