www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Sound advice please!  (Read 3273 times)

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
Re: Sound advice please!
« Reply #40 on: Jul 03, 2017, 15:23:03 »
Sorry.  My brain was thinking pushrod when you said connecting rod.  You do have connecting rods.

Offline quadracer351

« Reply #41 on: Jul 03, 2017, 19:00:10 »
Sorry.  My brain was thinking pushrod when you said connecting rod.  You do have connecting rods.
Lol no problem does it sound like it could be the con rods?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline quadracer351

« Reply #42 on: Jul 16, 2017, 20:01:13 »
Have the motor pulled again we are going to be checking the piston clearances and the con rods. The valve cover came off again and again everything up there was triple checked and everything was fine

Offline quadracer351

« Reply #43 on: Jul 18, 2017, 17:26:16 »
Ticking problem solved! Wrong gasket was put on, .040'm was on when we're thinking I need a .060~.070I'm because of the profile of the Pistons. Pistons 4 and 2 were making contact with the sides of the dome and the sleeves around the exhaust valves. I have some plastiguage in the mail and need to see if anyone on this forum is making custom thickness gaskets if not I'll just get one online

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #44 on: Jul 18, 2017, 17:34:36 »
Ticking problem solved! Wrong gasket was put on, .040'm was on when we're thinking I need a .060~.070I'm because of the profile of the Pistons. Pistons 4 and 2 were making contact with the sides of the dome and the sleeves around the exhaust valves. I have some plastiguage in the mail and need to see if anyone on this forum is making custom thickness gaskets if not I'll just get one online

Contact Lani at Copper Gaskets Unlimited... http://www.coppergaskets.us/ . He can make them in a plethora of thicknesses.  Give him a call and talk through it.  I put his gaskets on all of my machines, especially the ones I have bored out. 

Offline quadracer351

« Reply #45 on: Jul 18, 2017, 17:39:02 »
Contact Lani at Copper Gaskets Unlimited... http://www.coppergaskets.us/ . He can make them in a plethora of thicknesses.  Give him a call and talk through it.  I put his gaskets on all of my machines, especially the ones I have bored out.
Love it, thank you!

Offline quadracer351

« Reply #46 on: Jul 18, 2017, 17:39:26 »
Love it, thank you!

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #47 on: Jul 19, 2017, 00:00:51 »
there should be no touching with the head gasket out.  I don't understand why 2 pistons are touching the head.Does the combustion chamber need to be opened up to suit the larger pistons or are the bores and head not concentric?  That's not as uncommon as you might think. 

With zero clearance, a .040" (1.0mm) gasket should be fine. If there is "negative clearance", that should be fixed and not fudged with a thick gasket.   Bikes usually have zero to 1.0mm negative deck height.  In other words the edge of the piston is at or below the deck at TDC. If yours are too high, investigate why.  Conrods rarely have that much difference and pistons made in the last decade or more should close to identical.

If the combustion chambers are non concentric with the bores, they can be relieved gently with a dremmel on the side that hangs over the bore.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #48 on: Jul 19, 2017, 00:09:23 »
  Conrods rarely have that much difference and pistons made in the last decade or more should close to identical.
DOHC rods interchange, but they're 1mm shorter.  CB900 and CB1100 rods interchange, but they're 1.5mm longer.  All three cranks interchange as well, but with different strokes.  I don't know what work was done to the motor, but there are interchanges that effect those numbers.  Is it possible that the wrong combo of rods and pistons is at play here?

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #49 on: Jul 19, 2017, 00:13:27 »
Now that makes sense.  If they replaced a rod or two with 900 or 1100 rods, thinking they are the same length, that would produce this result.  If so, they need to make it right. And not with ridiculously thick gaskets.