www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Sound advice please!  (Read 2691 times)

Offline quadracer351

Re: Sound advice please!
« Reply #91 on: Jul 26, 2017, 15:58:43 »
I think at this point it would have been cheaper in money and effort to just get some new Wiseco or JE 836 pistons that fit the chamber out of the box. Those pistons are old and clunky.....the .003 skirt clearance says it all.
Wouldn't be against wiseco but there also not all that cheap. So far nothing after the rebuild has cost me anything but time and energy. Was hoping to be riding this summer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline hillsy

« Reply #92 on: Jul 26, 2017, 20:42:17 »
Wouldn't be against wiseco but there also not all that cheap. So far nothing after the rebuild has cost me anything but time and energy. Was hoping to be riding this summer.

Then just put a thicker base gasket on and call it good. Worry about new pistons next season.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #93 on: Jul 28, 2017, 21:31:58 »
I think at this point it would have been cheaper in money and effort to just get some new Wiseco or JE 836 pistons that fit the chamber out of the box. Those pistons are old and clunky.....the .003 skirt clearance says it all.

Forged pistons always need 'excess' clearace. Wiseco use up to 0.004"
I think Mahle are the only forged pistons that can use 'normal' clearance with their proprietary alloy (Porsche aided with
development)
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline quadracer351

« Reply #94 on: Jul 28, 2017, 22:00:26 »
I think Mahle are the only forged pistons that can use 'normal' clearance with their proprietary alloy (Porsche aided with
development)
Yeah I'm going to go with the slightly thicker gasket after checking for any damage and sanding the damage done in the head. I'd hate to change the profile of the domes if I'm going to end up with different Pistons in a year.

Offline crazypj

« Reply #95 on: Jul 29, 2017, 21:18:43 »
I would still match combustion chambers and pistons. Machining would be minimal and you only need to change thickness of gasket if you fit different pistons. You know all 4 chambers are different so make the odd ones match then mke all te pistons the same (or, if you want to be clever, make left and right chambers and pistons depending on plug angles)
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)

Offline MR915

• 1,400.00 for carbs...that's reasonable
« Reply #96 on: Aug 01, 2017, 12:38:49 »
development)
Don't know what Wiseco's run at .004 unless special application (nitrous etc).  Wiseco CB750 836, 915 pistons @.002 and .0019 respectively. I run 72mm CB750 JE pistons down to .0013 in my billet block....your "normal" for cast pistons.
 Those TRW pistons are close to 40 years old...like those old clunky, junky Arias and Venolia pieces from "back in the day". ::) :D
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2017, 13:07:27 by MR915 »
Famous last words..."Why are those low flow figures so low? "

Offline crazypj

« Reply #97 on: Aug 01, 2017, 17:22:58 »
Wiseco supply a sheet with various clearances, I've never seen 'stock clearances used with any forged piston becuase the material they are made of expands more than the high silicon cast pistons. Mahle developed a really strong high silicon/low (ish) expansion material for forged pistons, afaik, Wiseco are not paying royalties to Mahle to use it? It's a very dark material, even when cut or machined. I've had a look at a lot of Wiseco pistons, the machining is way better since they started using CNC machines, (2007?) no longer have to get 3~4 sets of pistons to get one matching set.

Offline quadracer351

« Reply #98 on: Aug 02, 2017, 01:39:13 »
Don't know what Wiseco's run at .004 unless special application (nitrous etc).  Wiseco CB750 836, 915 pistons @.002 and .0019 respectively. I run 72mm CB750 JE pistons down to .0013 in my billet block....your "normal" for cast pistons.
 Those TRW pistons are close to 40 years old...like those old clunky, junky Arias and Venolia pieces from "back in the day". ::) :D
Would of loved the wiseco at the time I didn't have the money for them and these came up with a good price right during my engine rebuild. I'll be saving up and have them put on after riding for a little bit. Want to finally enjoy this bike!!!

Offline crazypj

« Reply #99 on: Aug 02, 2017, 22:03:34 »

Want to finally enjoy this bike!!!
Just have piston crown edges machined for clearance and use them. There is more than likely way too much material in there so lightening slightly will be a good thing
Here's a pic of DOHC pistons modified for SOHC