The Van Van - '73 Suzuki RV125 "tracker"

Pardon the interruption - I read that you bled the oil lines before firing up the bike for the first time. I'm pretty close to firing up my KLR after an engine rebuild, but know bugger all about bleeding the oil lines - is it something I should know about?

The Jimbonaut said:
Pardon the interruption - I read that you bled the oil lines before firing up the bike for the first time. I'm pretty close to firing up my KLR after an engine rebuild, but know bugger all about bleeding the oil lines - is it something I should know about?

His is a 2 stroke so he bled the auto oiler lines to get air bubbles out which can starve it for oil and seize it. Your KLR being 4 stroke you just need to crank the engine over without spark plugs to circulate oil to the head prior to first start. once you see oil in the cam area of the head your good to go.

Re: The Van Van - '73 Suzuki RV125 "tracker"

Thanks for all the kind words fellas. Feels good to be at this stage.

Jim - what Maritime said. Those oil lines are for the 2/ oil supply to the main crank bearing and the piston. So any air bubbles can starve either component of lubrication and cause a heap of problems.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I generally like to run some pre mix through the first tank after a rebuild (snowmobiles too). Though in the case of these Suzuki bikes, it doesn't help the direct oiling to the crank bearings.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hurco550 said:
I generally like to run some pre mix through the first tank after a rebuild (snowmobiles too). Though in the case of these Suzuki bikes, it doesn't help the direct oiling to the crank bearings.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep, I had premix in to start but for some reason (maybe the oil?) it leaked past the carb gaskets and contributed to the mess. She smokes like a chimney, pretty confident everything is working as intended there

Ah, I see. Nice explanation, cheers chaps.

Trying to convince the missus that she needs one of these RV's as a scoot around town. So then I could find one, fix it up, give it to her and then immediately knick it and thrash it around the woods at my mate's cabin. Got it all figured out.

Oil in fuel won't cause a leak but seals may swell up a little and stop leaking after a while?

Kayla traded her CB200 for a sweet little red RV90 last weekend. Bros.

Attachments

• Image1542475612.581989.jpg
    Image1542475612.581989.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 271
trek97 said:
Holy smokes. Can you plate those things for street?

Yeah, the red one actually has a title. The green one is VT plated, I need to transfer it over to Texas.

They look like ant eaters. More funky than a CT70 that's for sure. You guys should have a blast getting around on those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

This thread is now a tale of two Van Vans.

I pulled the carb on the 90 last night to give it a once over in the ultrasonic. The bike has been having trouble starting since I got it and leaking a little fuel. The float valve is stuck so if a trip through the ultrasonic doesn’t free it up I may have to replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 252
Back
Top Bottom