First bike, first mod, first everything - kind advice appreciated!

For the speedo... Pretty sure the ratio on most Hondas is 2240:60 mph. So this one should work for you: http://www.dimecitycycles.com/2-5-inch-black-mini-speedometer-with-black-face-and-led-indicator-lights.html Although I doubt you'll ever make it much past 60 ;). If you use that one, you could remove the front "cage" that holds the gauges and headlight on and bolt it to the top tree, where the full mount is currently bolted in (bolt right in front of speedo in that pic). However, if you go that route you'll need to get a set of headlight ears to mount the headlight. If you're lucky the two bolts on the back might line up with the factory mount, but I highly doubt it.

For the ignition... As far as wiring the ignition should have it's own plug, separate from the lights it shares a "pod" with. If you don't want to keep the idiot lights, you could probably remove the ignition barrel itself from the case, and just unplug the idiot lights (then wire them up to the speedo's idiot lights). I think that's the case, but I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me. If you don't have the Clymer for your bike, it's actually pretty good and I'd recommend it- there are wiring diagrams in the back of it which are nice (can't remember if that's been said already or not).

You shouldn't need to re-wire anything, switch is probably bolted to bracket or top yoke and pokes through a hole (or is bolted into clock housing?) Either way, there will be a block connector to allow 'easy' removal. You just fit new connectors to wiring on new clock and match up with original wiring colours
It's simple on Honda's, they didn't change from 1960's until 2000+ when more black wires were used on components with block connectors. Speedo seems a bit expensive to me, but, I haven't bought one for several years. Few years ago I made some parts for Rebel 250, can't remember where pictures are though?

CALfeRacer said:
For the speedo... Pretty sure the ratio on most Hondas is 2240:60 mph. So this one should work for you: http://www.dimecitycycles.com/2-5-inch-black-mini-speedometer-with-black-face-and-led-indicator-lights.html Although I doubt you'll ever make it much past 60 ;). If you use that one, you could remove the front "cage" that holds the gauges and headlight on and bolt it to the top tree, where the full mount is currently bolted in (bolt right in front of speedo in that pic). However, if you go that route you'll need to get a set of headlight ears to mount the headlight. If you're lucky the two bolts on the back might line up with the factory mount, but I highly doubt it.

For the ignition... As far as wiring the ignition should have it's own plug, separate from the lights it shares a "pod" with. If you don't want to keep the idiot lights, you could probably remove the ignition barrel itself from the case, and just unplug the idiot lights (then wire them up to the speedo's idiot lights). I think that's the case, but I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me. If you don't have the Clymer for your bike, it's actually pretty good and I'd recommend it- there are wiring diagrams in the back of it which are nice (can't remember if that's been said already or not).

Thanks so much! I appreciate the advice. That speedo is one I've looked at - I love it. That's my dream speedo.

crazypj said:
You shouldn't need to re-wire anything, switch is probably bolted to bracket or top yoke and pokes through a hole (or is bolted into clock housing?) Either way, there will be a block connector to allow 'easy' removal. You just fit new connectors to wiring on new clock and match up with original wiring colours
It's simple on Honda's, they didn't change from 1960's until 2000+ when more black wires were used on components with block connectors. Speedo seems a bit expensive to me, but, I haven't bought one for several years. Few years ago I made some parts for Rebel 250, can't remember where pictures are though?

Awesome!! Thanks so much for all the help. I'm looking forward to fiddling around and getting rid of some of this bulk.

Working on picking out my electricals....I need to do some more research though since mine is a 6V. Dunno if i feel like trying to convert, or work with what I have.

Also trying to figure out options for a different seat. I feel like if I can at least pick out everything I need, I'll have a complete plan moving forward.

The length from the end of the gas tank to the end of the frame is just under 22". I'm not sure if there are standard seats out there, or if they're all different. I'm hoping I can find a flat seat, or one with the bump on the end that will fit. But of course, when you move one thing, everything shifts with it. I think to get the seat right, I might have to remove the fender or hope that there's enough space between seat and fender, otherwise I won't get it to attach correctly.

I've attached a seat that I have in mind, or that style anyway.

Thanks for any insight. I'm new but I'm learning. I got it to idle better already by messing around with the idle screw so that's good. I still plan on having a pro give it a tune-up since it's been sitting so long. Just for piece of mind.

Have a good weekend all!

Attachments

• 20170727_175855.jpg
    20170727_175855.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 223
  • 20170727_180419.jpg
    20170727_180419.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
  • seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 204
Someone will probably Photoshop it on for you ;)
You need to remove the original tail light and fit something better looking

If you decide to loose both chrome fenders. I could be interested. Rachels fenders were painted black by the PO. He said the chrome was tired looking. I like the black...but factory finish is appealing to me also.
Let me know if you are looking to paint/cut on yours, maybe we could work out a trade.

If you're looking to go 12V, I might have the parts laying around still. Not sure, but I can look in a couple weeks when I'm back down in SLO for the weekend.

That is if Trek doesn't want the parts anymore!

CALfeRacer said:
If you're looking to go 12V, I might have the parts laying around still. Not sure, but I can look in a couple weeks when I'm back down in SLO for the weekend.

That is if Trek doesn't want the parts anymore!

Haha, Sorry bro. Yep-Nope not needing parts anymore. Been a crazy summer. ;)

trek97 said:
Haha, Sorry bro. Yep-Nope not needing parts anymore. Been a crazy summer. ;)
No worries! They're just hanging out in the garage so not any burden to me haha. Just figured I'd check before offering them to come one else

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom