73' CB350F Rear Tire & Rim Size

buzzi785

Hi folks!

I'm having trouble figuring out what size rim and tire to get for the rear?

I may be wrong but the rear should be wider than the front otherwise my turns will be slower.

I swapped the stock front end for a 06' GSXR front end.

The current specs on the front are:

Tire - Avon AM26 Roadrider 120/70-17
Rim - Stock 17" GSXR

I'm getting different answers for the rear:

1. Same size tire and a 17"/3.5 excel rim
2. 140 tire in the back and 2.25 or 2.5 excel rim

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• B77AACE9-F8D3-4663-BB25-6427D8853436.jpg
    B77AACE9-F8D3-4663-BB25-6427D8853436.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_6746.JPG
    IMG_6746.JPG
    366.1 KB · Views: 258
If you're concerned about handling performance you should swap the swing-arm and wheel off a modern bike. Right now you have very rigid front suspension and a very flexible rear.

doc_rot said:
If you're concerned about handling performance you should swap the swing-arm and wheel off a modern bike. Right now you have very rigid front suspension and a very flexible rear.

Hey thanks for chiming in!

That was my last option.

What if i put a 17"/2.5 (2.5 is the widest I can go) excel rim in the rear and the same front tire in the back?

Basically match them up.

I would put the biggest tire you can fit in that swing-arm and the appropriate rim size for that tire. you can probably squeeze a 140 in there.

doc_rot said:
I would put the biggest tire you can fit in that swing-arm and the appropriate rim size for that tire. you can probably squeeze a 140 in there.

I will double check. I do want to go wider in the rear. Hopefully 140 doesn't touch the chain or swing arm.

Stay tuned!

doc_rot said:
Oh almost forgot l! Any suggestions on the rim size? 17" or 18"? 2.5 wide or 3" wide?

Here is my unsolicited advice; Don't waste your money on a new wheel and spokes. for what that costs you could probably find a rear end to swap and still have a little money left over for some machine work. If you are dying to get this thing on the road and ride for the summer just throw a 120 on your existing wheel and ride. 20-30 mm of width on the tire isn't going to be noticeable until you balance the front end you have put on there. Ignoring that, if you still want to build a wheel; I would match the front with a 17 in the widest tire you can fit and pick the manufacturers suggested rim width for the tire you plan on running.

doc_rot said:
Here is my unsolicited advice; Don't waste your money on a new wheel and spokes. for what that costs you could probably find a rear end to swap and still have a little money left over for some machine work. If you are dying to get this thing on the road and ride for the summer just throw a 120 on your existing wheel and ride. 20-30 mm of width on the tire isn't going to be noticeable until you balance the front end you have put on there. Ignoring that, if you still want to build a wheel; I would match the front with a 17 in the widest tire you can fit and pick the manufacturers suggested rim width for the tire you plan on running.
I may just do that. I have a 18 rear wheel though. So idk if that makes a huge difference.

I can do 120's front and rear but my rear will be 18 and 17 front.

Or put a smaller tire up front. That one looks a little big in proportion IMHO of course

I would do a 17 in the rear with a 140 or so. That is alot of tire for the 350f. Keep rim heights on it

350F has pretty much same swing arm as CB350 twin or CB360.
The 'advice' to put a 120 tyre on stock 1.85rim is BAD and will cause way more problems than it 'solves'.
You would be better to fit a 110 front tyre (even though they are way more expensive than 120's) then fit the widest rear 17" wheel that matches front (probably early GS500twin?) As they have same cush drive dimensions as larger bikes you can mix and match to keep chain in line with sprocket (may also need some machining?)You WILL need new spacers.
Honda XR200 swing arm is a direct swap in CB360, can't remember if 350f has same frame width (been a few years since I 'played' with the one I have although I think I swapped swing arm for 360 one)

CrazyPJ makes good points, and Tune-A-Fish's fz swingarm looks right at home......

if it were me, I'd hunt down the swingarm and rear wheel Tune pictured with a 140 rear tire on that (might need offset sprockets) and swap front tire to a 110.

Back
Top Bottom