www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: KZ-440 stalling while slowing down  (Read 591 times)

Offline greenearwax

KZ-440 stalling while slowing down
« on: Jul 10, 2017, 14:50:46 »
My KZ-440 started having an issue recently where I will be going around 60 miles and when I pull the clutch in and shift down to 1st while stopping the engine will cut out. Then it doesn't start back up either. I had to wait about 15 minutes on the side of the road before trying again, at that point it started right up.

From my very limited experience it seemed like the engine flooded, after doing some research I figure I should try cleaning the float valves?

However after doing some research some people had a similar issue due to engine starvation rather than flooding. If that's the case I should clean the vacuum line, tank vent, etc.

I don't have a lot of experience with small engines but i'm pretty good mechanically and confident in my ability to do any fixes with the user manual and youtube but I could use some advice as to what the problem is or how to tell better.

How do I know if its flooding or starved and what's the best way to go about fixing it?

Offline vwrabbit

Re: KZ-440 stalling while slowing down
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2017, 16:38:58 »
If it's starved, the plugs should show lean.  Pull the plugs and see what they look like.  It does sound like starvation.  The 15 minute wait is probably the bowls filling back up.

https://www.tuningmatters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/spark-plug-lean-rich-optimal-640x360.jpg

Offline greenearwax

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2017, 17:10:04 »
If it's starved, the plugs should show lean.  Pull the plugs and see what they look like.  It does sound like starvation.  The 15 minute wait is probably the bowls filling back up.

https://www.tuningmatters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/spark-plug-lean-rich-optimal-640x360.jpg

I replaced the plugs here a few days ago and when I pulled them they actually looked like it had been running rich, but they very well could have been in there for a decade but ill check the new ones in a bit.
After talking to a few friends my plan going forward is going to be to clean and synch my carbs as well as clean up my points and replace the condenser. I haven't done either before so that should be fun.

Offline vwrabbit

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2017, 17:13:03 »
Are you running the stock airbox still? 

Offline greenearwax

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2017, 17:19:05 »
Yeah its pretty much completely stock.
I'm thinking as the engine gets hot that its causing an ignition issue. The last time it died I pulled the plugs and the spark looked week but it was hard to say because of the sunlight. But I could be totally wrong, I don't have a lot of experience.

Offline vwrabbit

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2017, 17:23:55 »
Look for some 1/4" clear fuel line to run from the petcock to the carb T.  If it's starving for fuel, that line will be dry when it dies.  Easiest way to verify fuel starvation. 

Offline coyote13

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2017, 17:23:58 »
Check your battery, if it isn't holding a FULL charge it could be dying on deceleration as a result, can cause all sorts of little problems and you end up chasing your tail trying to tune carbs ignition etc on a bad battery.
Half the fun's in the get there...

Offline vwrabbit

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2017, 17:25:24 »
Good call on battery.  That could be a regulator/rectifier issue also if the battery is dying.

Offline greenearwax

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2017, 17:25:48 »
Check your battery, if it isn't holding a FULL charge it could be dying on deceleration as a result, can cause all sorts of little problems and you end up chasing your tail trying to tune carbs ignition etc on a bad battery.

I should've said, I replaced the battery over the weekend, it was kinda flat but now its at 12.75v with the bike off and up to 14v when I give it throttle.

Offline vwrabbit

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2017, 17:29:05 »
That rules out battery then.